Kitten still not eating... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Send a message via MSN to squeekers
Kitten still not eating...

Riot used to love chicken, beef, pork and fish. He will not touch it anymore. He MAY pick at the beef. But when I offer it, he smells it and walks away. I am at loss. I have tried warming it up (in warm water), sprinkling an assortment of sprinkles on it (liver and chicken sprinkle). I have tried leaving him in a room with it. I have tried everything. I am at loss on what to do. Hes not sick because if he was he wouldnt of inhaled the venison from the dogs bowl this morning.

What am I not doing right? I really dont wish to put him on canned or kibble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 01:14 AM
Jr. Cat

The similar situation happened to me too!!!!! But I decided to have stronger will than my cats then I kinda succeed over them. LOL I simply put out the food, leave it, tell them "eat or not hurry enough, I don't have any junk food at home." Until next meal time, change to another fresh one. (I wasted quite a few)

I also bought fortie flora to entice them to eat but it just helped very little for my boy while my girl totally buys it.

Over about two weeks, my boy kinda surrendered. He got to eat although not enthusiastically. He also lost some weight (5KG -> 4.6KG) but is being stable on this weight so at the moment I am not very worried even though I really want him to be at 5KG.

Now both my cats will finish about 5 oz of my homemade food by grazing on it until next meal time. (Yea, they eat my food with great reluctance...) So now this routine has been set now.

Hope my experience help.

Hana Hiro Hadow and Hocky, Mommy and Daddy will love you forever!
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

This is a 14 week old kitten who should be fed 3-4 times daily. Hes acting normal otherwise from what I have noticed. He does have the runs tho. I am about to give up, I was really hoping to have a cat I could raw feed but I dunno if it will work out now. I just dont understand how one minute he loves chicken, the next he hates it..makes no sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 01:32 AM
Senior Cat

Have you tried adding a probiotic to the food such as Holistic Select - Digestive Aid - Holistic Transition? Mine love that stuff plus it may help with the runny stools.

Has he been tested for worms? If Riot has a stomach full of worms I can't blame him for not eating. It would make less room in the stomach, even if it were a few worms, so he would feel less hungry.

This may sound silly, but have you tried differant types of plates and bowls? We had a Jersey calf a while ago who would NOT drink milk out of a pink bucket, it had to be a blue bucket. Sure, she wasn't a cat, but maybe some cats are the same way.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 01:38 AM
Senior Cat

Other things, do you play with him before feeding him? Normally, a cat would have to work to get it's food, so maybe having him playing a game of chase before eating would help.

Any reason you don't want to feed him venison? If thats something he is willing to eat you could possibly trick him into eating other meat by soaking the meat for a while in the venison juice/blood that you get when you defrost meat.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

For me to get a 2 pound venison steak would cost me darn near $30. This was given to me free for my dog and it was the last steak. I never get hunter scraps sadly. I am so fed up with him not wanting to eat. He will sniff it, then go about his day. He will play with the food but will never eat it. Fish..he will eat. Beef..sometimes he will eat beef.

I am ready to give up. I am going to try putting it out and taking it up for 24 hours. Its not me starving him, its him choosing not to eat. See how that goes. Yes hes been wormed.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekers View Post
Its not me starving him, its him choosing not to eat.
It sounds like your cat chooses not to eat raw.
You say he has diarrhea.
I would be worried about him and compromise.
Feed him something healthy he'll eat.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenport ferals View Post
It sounds like your cat chooses not to eat raw.
You say he has diarrhea.
I would be worried about him and compromise.
Feed him something healthy he'll eat.
Yeah, I have to agree with this advice. Especially if he has the runs. Maybe he's just got a sensitive stomach and can't handle raw as well as some cats. Every cat is different. Just like people, some will be unable to tolerate foods that are supposed to be healthy for them.

I'd say at this point it's better that he eat something he can handle, even if it's not what you'd prefer to feed him. Go with some kind of high-quality canned food, and maybe supplement with a little raw if he seems willing to eat some? And if the diarrhea continues for a while after you switch his diet, then it could be something else is going on. His tummy may be upset for some other reason, causing him to be less inclined to eat.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Cat Addict

If he has the runs, he needs to be seen by a vet to rule out any parasites etc.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Premier Cat

I think your kitten needs to be seen by a vet first and foremost. Sometimes we just need to put all the questions aside, stop trying to reason things out, and let the professionals figure out what's wrong.

After you've done that, if the kitten still won't eat, and you are determined to feed raw, forcing him to eat won't work. TRUST me, I have the biggest diva of all diva's living in my house. Her and I have battled her finicky behaviors for years now, and she "has my number" as my husband would say. I'll give you some of the things that have worked best for me.

Patches loves kibble. Period. She's a dry food junky. She also loves her rabbit, but if it smells even the smallest bit different from batch to batch, she will refuse, and she won't give in. I thought I was stubborn! LOL! I will put her back on her kibble, but I put a bit of her favorite fish oil on the side, and mix a small amount of raw rabbit in the oil. Smother it. I gradually increase the amount of rabbit with each feeding, and decrease the oil. It usually takes a week to get her back on track. NOTE: Not all fish oils are the same, and alot of kitties can't handle the fish oil. I'm using a very high quality oil, and not had an issue with runny poop if I stay under a certain amount per day. Cheaper oils have other chemicals and such in, they aren't as refined, so if you go this route, use only a tiny amount, and watch carefully. You could also try tuna water or just the tuna I would think.

I've also used parmesan cheese with success, kitties love it, though I will say, for Patches, it's only worked with canned food, and never with raw. Your's might like it.

What I do now when Patches has issues with a new batch of rabbit, is mix it like normal, pull it to the side in a pile. Then I put in 4 pieces of her dry kibble. With Patches I know it's a smell issue, and for some reason the kibble helps her to get past the difference in smell between the old batch, and the new batch. I'll do this for a day or so, and then she's fine.........till next batch! LOL!

I'm not a vet, so these are only my opinions.

First and foremost, feed the kitten something it will eat, and then please get the kitten seen by a vet, then start over. In my research about finicky cats, ADULT cats need to eat at least a minimum of every 18 hours between meals.

Last edited by OwnedByACat; 12-10-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page