Questions about grinding bones - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Questions about grinding bones

I am wondering about what blade to use when grinding bone? I am now using the3/16" plate but every time I clean the machine I found some bones stuck on the plate that won't be grind (mostly are the soft bone of joints). Will this lead to calcium-to-phosphorus ratios unbalanced? Do I need to add more calcium (I am thinking eggshells) to make up the bones stuck on the plate? Or do I need to change to a bigger plate (I am a little concerned about if bones are not grind small enough that my cats would get choked)? Please advise.

Ps. I am following Cat Nutrition.Org recipe with bone.

Hana Hiro Hadow and Hocky, Mommy and Daddy will love you forever!

Last edited by marie73; 12-12-2010 at 04:42 AM. Reason: font size
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Banned

I think most of the raw-feeders here (including me) offer either whole prey or frankenprey and can't, therefore, easily answer your question.

Unless there's a ton of bone stuck to the plate, though, I don't think I'd worry about it. I use my cat's stools as a guide - if your kitties stools are soft, then you probably do need to add more bone to their food, if not, however, again, I wouldn't worry about it.

Regards!

AC
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for your advising. My kitties' stools looks fine to me. Now I am worry free.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Tom Cat

Just to let you know, that the recommended Ca: ph ratio, gathered from many sources and opinions, can be anywhere from 1.1:1 to 2:1. If you look at some of the info we have for possible prey, there really is no average ratio. The USDA shows the min ratio should be about 1.2:1. And even then, there is some debate about how much calcium is actually in some bones. But cats don't become deficient overnight. And if your sticking remotely close to the guidelines outline on catnutrition. Then I wouldn't worry too much about a some bone not going through.

My tip for grinding things. Is to try and have the items to be ground, semi frozen but only a little. For me, it help move the food through the grinder while still getting a good grind. And if I needed to make a second pass, it was still frozen enough to grind smaller and move easily through the machine.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for the info! Today I just bought two whole chicken and run through my grinder. Still just the soft bones left behind which is not a lot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page