Should I buy a grinder and what brand and model? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Should I buy a grinder and what brand and model?

I am thinking of buying a grinder mainly for grinding bones.
I am thinking like thighs, turkey wings, chicken back, duck back etc.

Right now, Mui Mui is 5 months old, and she should be given whatever she wants to eat. But she can only chew quail ribs, or quail necks if she is in the mood. And Cheetah has been very lazy on chewing bone, and he only chews quail bone, maybe 2 pieces of 1 inch pieces at most for each meal. He will not even eat chicken wingtips. Of course he will not chew larger pieces of bone-in quail.

So I have been cutting meat, quail, liver and organ in about 1 inch pieces and mix well. I know Cheetah will not eat all bones, so I add some calcium. The amount is little enough some they don't smell it, so it is not enough to make up the bones that Cheetah does not eat.

I am thinking of getting a grinder, and grind half of their bone. For example, if I need 2 lbs of bone in my batch I am making, 1 lb will come from pieces of quail, and another lb will be from grounded bones (of course with correct calculation). Be able to ground bones will also reduce my expense, since chicken/turkey wings provide more bone than whole quail and is much cheaper. And be able to ground chicken wings will give them more skin, which is what they do not have much now.
Cheetah is really bad about eating hearts too, so I am thinking of grinding half of the hearts too. Others will still be in pieces.

Any suggestions or comments? And any recommendation on the brand and model of grinder?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Tom Cat

You can if you want. If you can spend some money a fair amount of raw feeders, that grind, use a Tasin grinder http://www.onestopjerkyshop.com/tasi...d163b0076a27bb. I believe they are one of the few that don't void a warranty if bones are ground, in fact the descriptions they write usually includes a blurb about barf diets. Some other fair quality ginders should do ok, but if you run into problems they may void the warranty if they find out bones were run through the machine. If you want to go super cheap, and don't mind the elbow grease, the old manual food grinders (common names are universal and griswold) will go through bone . I recommend you get the largest, or #3 Universal grinder, if your grinding bone ( http://cgi.ebay.com/Universal-Food-M...item27b6a9ffb1 you can find them cheaper).

Good luck
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you, Chris, for your advice.
I tried to go to supermarkets and see if they can grind wings or backs for me, and they said no, and looked at me like I am crazy.

I guess I will have to buy a grinder. Cheetah is eating very little bone, his poo is still hard, but I am still worried.

I will probably think about TS108 or TS110, or Weston #22 if I really have to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Kitten

I use the Waring Pro to grind my food and I love it.

Cat maid to:

Puddles, f (s) Blue Cream Himalayan 13 yrs
Jasper, m (n) Blue Pt Ragdoll/Ragdoll cross 8-9 yrs
Sweet Pea, f (s) silver tabby/calico 5-6 yrs
Rose semi feral, f (s) brown tabby 3 yrs
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Tom Cat

mine is called a Maverick and right now they sell for less than $100.00 and have no trouble with chicken bones.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
mine is called a Maverick and right now they sell for less than $100.00 and have no trouble with chicken bones.
That is a brand I have ever heard of, I will look it up. Have you try grinding necks, like duck neck or turkey wings with it?

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Jr. Cat

I am very puzzled by this raw bone feeding.
How does cat digest bone?
I gave my cat finely smashed raw bone, but he seemed to want to vomit it out in the morning.
Then I pureed chicken bone into paste, which feels a bit sandy, and then my cat got acute diarrhea for 3 days, which scared the **** out of me. The vet said the bones hurt his digestive lining. Now I don't even know if I should give him any more bones, and he seems to like cooked chicken more than raw chicken meat.
Are your cats fine after eating grinded chickens?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
I gave my cat finely smashed raw bone, but he seemed to want to vomit it out in the morning.
Then I pureed chicken bone into paste, which feels a bit sandy, and then my cat got acute diarrhea for 3 days, which scared the **** out of me. The vet said the bones hurt his digestive lining. Now I don't even know if I should give him any more bones, and he seems to like cooked chicken more than raw chicken meat.
No, I have no problem feeding bones before.
I have been feeding raw for 1 year, and mainly quail bones in their diet. I cut quail into about 1 inch x 1 inch square or larger, and they have no problem chewing, breaking, swallowing, digesting bone (when they want to).

I have not fed grinded bones before, but I am looking into it. The commercial raw I sometimes feed has bone meal in it.

I saw your other post, it could be because the bone is slightly cooked, or there is too much bone in the diet.

Why don't you try commercial raw first, and then if you are going to make your own raw, then use a grinder to grind up the RAW bones.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Banned

I feed frankenprey (whole body parts, including wings, ribs, etc.) and not ground, so I don't actually have anything to offer on the original topic, but I wanted to respond to Hobbes' post for those reading this who aren't familiar with his situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
Hobbes, the commercial raw product you've been feeding your cat has an unspecified amount of bone in it; my guess, however, is that there is more than there should be/needs to be, and that your added bone-in meals have contributed to your kitty being constipated.

As for the digestive injury, that was due to feeding cooked bone, which should never, ever be done.

Raw bones are flexible and soft and easily digested by the cat, regardless of their form (whole, cut or ground).

AC
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Jr. Cat

I think you are right that the injury was scrached by the cooked bone however finely I pureed it. Originally I assumed bones can dissolve in stomach acid. Since many cats eat raw bone, and the bones don't seem to come out from the other end, it means the bones must have dissolved in their bodies. That is why I thought it was ok to puree half cooked bone. (It is kinda too bloody and smelly to puree raw bone).
I really wanna try raw diet again, but my vet told me raw diet would cause chronic bowl inflammation. Do you think it might??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page