Making the switch! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Making the switch!

Thank you guys for answering all my dietary questions as of late. I know I kept waffling back and forth and was rather uncertain and kept changing my mind.

*deep breath* After many many hours/days of research (seriously, I think I spent 50% of my vacation time over the holidays reading about cat food and nutrition) I've decided to try introducing raw into my cats' diets.

I did a lot of reading, and debated which direction to go. I think to start out, I'm going to do pre-made raw just to get them used to it and see how they fare. I'm still too nervous about making my own food and balancing everything correctly.

There's a local pet store that got some great reviews about helpful and knowledgeable staff, that carries Primal. I'm going to stop by there today and look at what they've got! It seems Primal also sells starter/transition packs, which is nice, so I can ease into this with as little difficulty as possible.

My current plan is to get them used to the raw and try feeding one raw meal and one canned meal a day for now. I'm hoping to eliminate kibble from their diet entirely or mostly but have been unsuccessful so far. Currently they get two small canned meals a day supplemented with a little kibble snack in the evenings, because I can't get them to eat as much canned as I'd like. Maybe they'll be more enthused with the raw than they are with the canned?

Anyway, heading out to the store now. Wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Back from the store. Sadly the one I went to only sells Primal's dog line, no frozen raw for cats. But the owner actually referred me to the tiny pet store right across the street from my condo! Apparently they have a massive freezer of raw in the back.

I stopped in there and they were very very helpful. They actually gave me the primal starter pack for free and told me I could try that to see how it goes before deciding to buy any. That was very nice of them.

So I have a little portion of that defrosting in the fridge now! Depending on when it's done, my cats will get their first taste either tonight or tomorrow.

I am optimistic...Apollo and Athena, knowing they're not supposed to jump on the kitchen counters, were all over the counter while I was unpacking the food and transferring the portion to defrost into separate bags. I guess they thought something smelled good!
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Cool Cat

Good luck & keep us updated! I might be considering a similar diet sometime in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Tom Cat

Where are you located in California? I would like to check out your source
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyAndMalley View Post
Where are you located in California? I would like to check out your source
I'm in Agoura. Quite a ways away from you I'm afraid.
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Tom Cat

Thats the thing about CA... Thanks though!
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Cat

It is great to hear that you have decided to try raw. I hope you will bee a big difference soon. I have tried Primal too. Other brands of pre-made raw I will suggest will be Rad Cats and Feline's Pride. Good Luck and keep us updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

The thing I am still fretting over is the inclusion of kibble.

I made an interesting discovery this weekend. We were at my parents' house overnight to do laundry, as we usually are on Saturdays, so I left kibble for the cats' breakfast since we wouldn't be home until the afternoon. I'm noticing that the more kibble Athena has, the softer and stinkier her stools are. So the less kibble I can feed her, the better. Her stools seem to firm up more during the week (when they get mostly canned food with only a little kibble as a snack) and then soften again after a weekend of more kibble.

But currently there's no way I can do raw (or even canned) when gone overnight, since I have to watch the cats to make sure they eat their own portions and one doesn't steal the others' food (whereas with a bowl of kibble they don't gobble it down, they just eat their fill slowly over time).

I keep reading so much mixed info on the safety of kibble with raw. Can I still feed the two together? Should there be a length of time allowed to digest kibble before they get another raw meal? Should I bother trying to keep them used to kibble during the week, or just reserve it for when I'm going to be gone during mealtime?
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Cat Addict

Welcome to the club - when you see how excited and happy your kitties get, you'll forget your initial feelings about raw feeding!

My husband jokes about 'sushi for kitties', and actually, he's sort of right - I do love sashimi and sushi, and what Gracie gets does seem rather similar, after all...

Keep us posted! Fran
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks!

Oh, another question. On Primal's website they say: "We recommend feeding raw foods in a stainless-steel bowl."

Their reasoning is plastic is porous and can potentially trap germs. I currently use plastic bowls for the cats. Do you think I should pick up some stainless steel ones?

And if I should, would it be alright to use the plastic bowls for a few days until I have a chance to get the metal ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page