New transition and litter box issues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

New transition and litter box issues

About 3 weeks ago, I switched my 11-year-old cat from grain-free kibble to pre-prepared raw turkey patties. They are 89% ground turkey and bones, 10% heart and liver, and 1% seeds and grasses, if that info helps.

After about two weeks, she started scooting. I noticed she hadn't been pooping as much as she used to - around 4 marble-sized droppings (which are dry and yellowish) per day. I took her to the vet after a few days and they emptied her anal glands. There was also quite a bit of inflammation around that area, but she has a skin condition to begin with. I'm not sure (and neither was the vet) if all this was from the food or the fact that she's overweight and can't clean herself properly.

Has anyone had this problem? Is it normal to poop less? If it's just a transition issue, that's fine, but if it recurs I might just switch to a grain-free canned food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Tom Cat

Its normal that raw feed cats will poop less than commercially feed ones. But some cats still need something to keep the poop moving when transitioning to raw. Some add a little fiber to a raw diet until the cat no longer needs it. So I am speculating that its just a transition issue. You can talk to your vet about adding fiber until the kitty can preform fine without it. Although i am not sure about the yellowish part. Most raw feed kitties I have seen either have really dark to slightly dark (depending how much bone they are feed) poop. Maybe the color is from the seeds? Or you can look up poop colors and meanings and see if there is something to talk to the vet about.

Take care.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

The vet thinks the colour's probably from the food and nothing to worry about - but I might add a bit of fibre anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Banned

Many ground raw recipes use psyllium husk powder. Catinfo.org recommends using 2 tsp of this per every 3 pounds of raw food (or 4 tsp of whole psylllium husks) when it's needed. I don't know how much that is per each of the patties your serving, but a few calculations ought to get that number for you.

Dr. Pierson also suggests doubling the amount of water used in her recipe when psyllium is used, so make sure your kitty gets lots of water - perhaps mix a teaspoon or so with each of the patties of meat.

Good luck!

AC
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks, I'll try that.

I'm a little worried since she seems to have gotten into my other cat's kibble yesterday.I've been keeping the kibble on a table that I thought was too high for her to reach, but she was apparently very determined. I'm not sure how much of it she ate. Hopefully it won't cause any problems. I *may* have seen a tiny bit of blood in the litter box but I'm not sure. Will take another look tomorrow.

From what I understand, you're not supposed to feed kibble/canned food and raw food together, but would a few treats at night (about 4 hours after her raw food) be a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page