raw bone might cause diarrhea? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

raw bone might cause diarrhea?

I am trying to give raw diet to my cat. 2 days ago I put raw chicken with bone in his wet food, and his stool became soft the next day and he tried to vomit something that morning. I thought maybe it is hard for him to digest bone, so I pureed chicken bone in big blender, and after 1 and a half hour eating it, he was crying in litter box and got diarrhea.
Does anyone know why???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Senior Cat

Bone -should- have the oppostie effect (causing stool to be harder, firmer). I am guessing you didn't take any of the skin off? Skin DOES cause the runs, esp. when the cat/dog in question is not used to it. Also, SOME cats/dogs can't handle processing raw and processed foods at the same time right off the bat.

My suggestion would be to start with chicken necks and see how kitty does. Necks have no fatty skin attached! If your baby still has the runs, I would see if they would maybe eat the raw without the canned... and you can feed the canned hours later (6-12) in the day and see if that causes issues.

Goodluck! Transitioning kitties is hard work, but worth it in the end.

As an aside, you can get Slippery Elm Bark Powder at all many human health food stores, in capsule form, and open the capsules and add this to the canned food until the runs stop (SEB is made to coat the digestive tract and help stop the runs). Always helps my guys.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzby View Post
Bone -should- have the oppostie effect (causing stool to be harder, firmer). I am guessing you didn't take any of the skin off? Skin DOES cause the runs, esp. when the cat/dog in question is not used to it. Also, SOME cats/dogs can't handle processing raw and processed foods at the same time right off the bat.
The raw bones I pureed are bones of different part of chicken sold in a pack, and I added this to raw chicken breast and canned food, so there is no skin.

Do you think the cause of his diarrhea could be bone having been processed? Or are some cats allergic to raw bones? Will he gradually get better with it after some time?

He had normal but a bit soft stool about 4 hours before he ate. After eating this raw meal with canned food, he was crying in litter box for ages and had diarrhea, so I suppose the pureed bone might have irritated his bowl. He has never had diarrhea in his life....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
Bone is primarily calcium, and calcium can be very constipating. If your cat ate more than a very small amount of bone, it's likely that he's constipated. Sometimes when a cat is badly constipated, he will strain so hard in the litterbox that all he manages to push out is a little liquid stool that leaks out from around the constipated stool. That may be what you saw that made you think he was having diarrhea.

Because bone can be so constipating, it should be fed in small amounts only and with plenty of muscle meat. My raw-fed cats get 1/4 of a chicken neck daily as their bone source, along with muscle and organ meats. Even with that small amount of bone, I occasionally have a cat constipate and have to eliminate the bone from their meals entirely for a day or two.

Laurie
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

It seems that the possibility of constipation is small now....cuz he just had another watery stool. Now I don't know how long this will last. I will try to get slippery Elm Bark Powder. Does diarrhea in cat usually last many days?

Now he is sitting on my bed, looking pissed.

Last edited by Hobbes; 01-06-2011 at 12:50 PM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
The raw bones I pureed are bones of different part of chicken sold in a pack, and I added this to raw chicken breast and canned food, so there is no skin.

Do you think the cause of his diarrhea could be bone having been processed? Or are some cats allergic to raw bones? Will he gradually get better with it after some time?

He had normal but a bit soft stool about 4 hours before he ate. After eating this raw meal with canned food, he was crying in litter box for ages and had diarrhea, so I suppose the pureed bone might have irritated his bowl. He has never had diarrhea in his life....
Okay, what exactly did the parts look like? I think there may be the possibilty that the "many parts" you blended (in a blender!?) were not actually boney parts. Bones from chickens are not soft enough to be blended in a blender! I think maybe what you bought was gizzards? If he's eating large amounts of raw meat with no bone, that may cause the runs.

Cats aren't allergic to raw bones, well, let me say that MOST cats aren't. Raw meat/bones and cooked meat/bones are different and react different to carnivores.. my cats are allergic to chicken in pet food, but not raw chicken. See what I mean?

Blending the bones shouldn't have caused him any "irritation", we feed coarsely ground bone all the time and no one's had any issues.

What I meant by PROCESSING the raw with PROCESSED food was that since raw digests at a different rate than the canned food.. it is possible his tummy is upset by eating both at once. This doens't happen OFTEN but it is a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurief View Post
Bone is primarily calcium, and calcium can be very constipating. If your cat ate more than a very small amount of bone, it's likely that he's constipated. Sometimes when a cat is badly constipated, he will strain so hard in the litterbox that all he manages to push out is a little liquid stool that leaks out from around the constipated stool. That may be what you saw that made you think he was having diarrhea.

Because bone can be so constipating, it should be fed in small amounts only and with plenty of muscle meat. My raw-fed cats get 1/4 of a chicken neck daily as their bone source, along with muscle and organ meats. Even with that small amount of bone, I occasionally have a cat constipate and have to eliminate the bone from their meals entirely for a day or two.

Laurie
This is also a very good point. Even if your kitty has the runs for a long time, he can still be very constipated. I think we need to find out how much bone or meat you gave him.. and whether it was actually bone or not?

Quote:
It seems that the possibility of constipation is small now....cuz he just had another watery stool. Now I don't know how long this will last. I will try to get slippery Elm Bark Powder. Does diarrhea in cat usually last many days?

Now he is sitting on my bed, looking pissed.
LOL When I get the runs for more than a few days, I am also not so happy!

What laurie was saying could still be true, if he is extremely constipated that only the slight liquid is coming out. I would, at this point, bring him for a checkup as well. IF he ate too much bone and it's causing him to be severly constipated he may need help to push it out (enema).. if it's just that he's eating too much muscle meat, or his tummy isn't dealing with trying to process two different types of food (raw & cooked) at once, atleast you will get peace of mind that he isn't stuck-up.

We've done raw now for 3+ years and if our cats get the runs now (which they do every so often when I forget to add enough bone) it's usually only one time.. then we give bone and they're good. Antibiotics cause the runs, so when a cat is on those we tend to also give SEB daily with more bone heavy meals.

Runs can cause dehydration, so it's super important that you find a way to stop it. Whether that's stopping the raw for a while, or going to the vet to get their opinion. Maybe give him a few weeks to get better and start over? But make sure you KNOW for 100% sure what parts you are giving him, and whether or not they are "enhanced" (enhanced chicken is full of extra salt that causes runs in most every animal - this happens more than people would like to know).

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Just when I am tying now, he is having another running stool. This time the volume has decreased from last time, and this is the third run today after that evil meal. God, I am hoping the next stool will be not watery....This is too horrible to watch him keep running to litter...

Yes, that pack is chicken bone with a bit of meat of different parts, it says chicken bone on the pack. I used a heavy duty mixer, which can grind almost everything. I forgot to mention that I.. half cooked... the bone before I pureed it with a bit of water because I didn't want it to be too bloody in the blender, but the chicken breast is raw. I added about 3 teaspoons of puree to 1/3 of chicken breast and 30 g of canned food.

Last edited by Hobbes; 01-06-2011 at 02:18 PM.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Senior Cat

You COOKED the bone!??! Oh my. Please bring your kitty to the vet. Now.

Cooked bone splinters and makes shards. I don't want to panic you, but this can lead to very serious problems. Any time a bone is warmed it starts to cook, and even if you mean "half cooked" as in has it in real hot water, that could be enough to start cooking those bones.

I would ask for an Xray to see if there are any portions of bone stuck, and get him re-hydrated asap.

Goodluck. *sends healing thoughts to kitty*

Kelly

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

God, I am confused. The bone is pureed into a paste. How does it splinter??
I was afraid it might splinter, so I really pureed it finely.... Can you please let me know???

Last edited by Hobbes; 01-06-2011 at 02:52 PM.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
God, I am confused. The bone is pureed into a paste. How does it splinter??
I was afraid it might splinter, so I really pureed it finely.... Can you please let me know???
Without knowing exactly what you're feeding, in what amounts and how often, it's difficult to help you.

You say you pureed a "package" - can you post a picture of the package or a link to it? If not, can you write down exactly what it says on the package?

Did it have any "enhancements" - sauces, spices, etc.?

How much raw are you feeding? What are you buying, how are you preparing it, what amounts do you give each time, and how often do you give it?

What else are you feeding, how much at a time, and how often?

It sounds to me as if you've only fed a single raw meal, and that meal was a mix of both canned cat food as well as some as-yet-unidentified chicken parts with bone likely included?

You may have an emergency on your hands, or you may just have a kitty who reacted to a kinda weird mix of foods. Hard to tell until we have more details.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

One thing for sure, though, and I can't stress this enough - NEVER, EVER FEED COOKED BONE. NEVER!!!!!! Cooking it destroys everything good about it and makes the bone brittle so it splinters easily with very sharp ends; a disaster just looking for a place to happen.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Looking forward to your answers!

AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page