THIS is why I'm willing to raise my own rabbits! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

THIS is why I'm willing to raise my own rabbits!

I just received a 35 lb order from Hare today after the new year, and I'm using my first 3 lbs of ground rabbit from the order right now. I don't know what it is, but I know it's not rabbit. At least not the rabbit I'm used to using. This stuff is more white, like a ground chicken salad. It's very "sticky", and I even added an extra half cup of water to it. It smells like chicken! I put a little bit down for them to chow, because they get excited when I mix, and not one of them will even lick it! D*M!

So, I have cats allergic to chicken, and I'm mixing up a meat I have no idea what it is. I'm completely out of other rabbit, and frozen medallions, so what am I supposed to feed in the morning?

Has anyone ever had issue with Hare today? I mean, it looks, smells, and feels NOTHING like the rabbit I'm used to.

Is there maybe different colors of rabbit meat, where one would smell different? Although, the very first rabbit meat I was buying was lighter colored, and it didn't have this texture or smell.

What do I do now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 01:02 AM
Premier Cat

Can you contact Hare today to ask them?
Other than keeping an 'emergency ration' of some type of canned food (and keeping them 'up' on eating it) or a 'contingency plan' I'm not sure what you can do for right now. Can they miss a meal? I know it isn't ideal, but if it gives you time to think, plan, do/find something ... that may be an option so you can find something to feed them tomorrow.

I think, if I were feeding raw and having the issue you're having, I would also be inclined to raise my own rabbits, but I've also grown up rurally raising beef/pork for our family's freezer, so it wouldn't bother me to raise a 'food' animal.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

It doesn't bother me either, Heidi. I grew up with it also, my step-dud raised rabbits, beef, and pork, which we ate alot of. I think it's just natural when you grow up on a farm.

I do have a dry food here that doesn't have any chicken or eggs in it, and they all like it, so I'll be fine. I honestly think it's a bit on the rancid side, but I can't tell if my sensitive nose is just doing overtime. But smelling the bags..........it stinks! I put down a little bit of crumbles left from the bags, all meat, nothing else, and they wouldn't even smell it. So it's off.

I don't thaw on the counter either, I do set it out for an hour, and then it goes straight into the fridge to finish thawing. I've thawed plenty of meat here, so it's not my thawing process, and it was still frozen when the shipment was delivered.

I pulled out three more pounds of rabbit, and put it in the fridge to thaw overnight. I do add lamb also, so tomorrow I'll head to the meat market to get a lb of it fresh, and then I guess we'll see what this rabbit smells like tomorrow. It's not even the same color, so I'm not sure if it's even rabbit meat.

Seriously! Can't my cats just get a dang break already!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 02:09 AM
Premier Cat

I'm more of a hypocrite. I was raised on a farm and am fine eating beef that I raised and fed (and brushed, and babied, and talked too). I can handle eating fresh game that my brother's shot and cleaned....but there is *NO* way I could kill something myself, even for MowMow.

Once it's dead and clean I can block out what it is and cut it up/cook it/feed it....If I could raise the rabbits and drop them off somewhere for the 'deed' I'd be fine....

Like I said..I'm a hypocrite.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 03:53 AM
Cat Addict

There are definite advantages to raising them yourself. You could ensure them a good life, a good death, and your cats would for certain get a good meal. Worth it in my book, if you have the space.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Well, no one is very happy with me this morning. Patches very reluctantly ate the dry food, and then went downstairs to throw it up. The only other thing I have, that I know she does like, is a food with chicken in it, which is guaranteed to make her itch worse. I have Wellness turkey wet food, or Natural Balance dry limited ingredient duck. I'm going to have to give her some, she needs to eat.

I had taken some of the other bags of rabbit out of the freezer last night, and put them in the fridge to thaw overnight. It was thawed enough to be able to dig a chunck of it out. I'm still not sure what it is, and only one of the kitties ate it.........very reluctantly.

Why???? Why does this always happen?

I'm going to go to the local meat market today, and see what I can get for them there. Our truck needs to be fixed, and our appt is for tomorrow, so I can't go to far with it, Dave doesn't trust it to go very far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page