raw as a treat only? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

raw as a treat only?

Current diet: breakfast of 2.5 oz (half a can) wet food ... 1 bowl of kibble left out all day for "grazing"
Would it be okay to feed cats a couple chicken gizzards, once a day, as a treat? Or is that too unbalanced for diet?

My perdicament:
I'm sure that somewhere around here people have claimed that raw was cheaper than commercial... though every time I search for buying meat, it's always at least $3 a pound (for organ anyway...I can get regular chicken for about $1.50 but that's just muscle). That's cheap?? I get decent quality kibble for 70cents a pound - which of course includes all the vitamins and stuff, so I wouldn't also need to buy any supplements besides the meat.

I would love to give my kitties the absolute best in food, but as I'm living off disability checks, my budget is very tight. My own food I'm getting with food stamps...and they don't pay for cat food.
HOWEVER! I do love chicken hearts, and buy some ever so often as a treat (for ME). They always come with gizzards too, which I really don't like so much. I would give the gizzards to the cats once a day as a treat, maybe 2 gizzards to a cat...but not a full meal - their 1/2 can food and bowl of kibble would still be their main source of diet.

I do plan on totally switching over, as soon as I can get all the medical bills paid and be more stable financially. But that won't be for three to five years!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

I was just going to post the same question! I bought a package of hearts and gizzards for myself and I was wondering if I could give some (raw) to my girls. My fear is that Charlee will swallow without chewing.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Cat Addict

I would think that if they swallowed a gizzard without chewing, that would be fine. No bones right? (Not entirely sure I know what a gizzard is)

My guys get a half a chicken wing a day (or every other day) to supplement their canned food diet and they love it! I wish I could afford to go 100% raw, the cats sure do enjoy it.

That said, a chicken wing is a RMB, where a heart or gizzard would classed as offal. It IS possible to overdo it on the offal. Not sure I'd feed it every day, but once or twice a week should be fine.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I wanted it to help their teeth, so if she swallows it whole, kind of defeats the purpose. Should give her a bigger piece so she'll have to chew? Do your kids eat the chicken wing bone and everything?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Cool Cat

70 cents per lb? Wow. The kibble I was buying was costing me almost $4 per pound! In fact in my case, even premade frozen raw ended up being cheaper than the grain free canned/kibble combo I was feeding once I factored out how much I'd need to feed per week and how much everything cost per oz.

Anyway, being that I'm still super new to raw and trying to figure everything out myself, I don't have any advice there. I'm sure one of the more experienced raw feeders has the answer though!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Cat Addict

As far as raw feeding, gizzards and hearts are considered muscle meat, not organ... so I would not worry too much about nutrition per se, more about digestion rates. You don't want to upset their stomachs in the interim.

I would feed it several hours after any meal and preferrably before feeding the kibble. From what I understand, the kibble is the real problem with the slow digestibility.

Other than that, it will most likely be a welcome treat
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks guys! I just wasn't sure if I could mix raw and commercial like that.

Paizly does not like to chew for some weird reason. I did have her teeth done last year, and everything was okay for how old she is... so it's not that it's mouth problems.
Besides, just to make sure they don't choke anyway, I would cut up the gizzards in tiny pieces... heck, might even just turn them to mush like canned food, in the blender and give a spoonful of it.
Every other day or every couple days sounds good to me - I could freeze the whole batch, then thaw out individual servings in the fridge the night before, and it would last a while that way.

I used to spend $6 a bag on 3 lbs kibble, but then my budget tightened with all the medical bills from my stroke and surgery and I had to switch to a more affordable one. Ironically, this is the only food Paizly can tolerate, and now only vomits once a week at the most...unlike every day, as before. I think it's because she can't tolerate corn or by-products (ran out of current kibble once, and got a little bag of grocery kibble with corn...had to clean throw up messes every day until I could get another trip to Costco!)
For a 25 lbs bag, it's $15.99 ....$17 after tax. So that's about 68cents a pound. And 1 bag lasts about 2 months.

Costco "Kirkland Signature" cat food - ingredient list and nutrition values

Last edited by Vivid Dawn; 01-13-2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: details/clarification
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Cat Addict

If you are going to feed gizzards or any form of raw, I would initially cut them into small pieces, but in order to get the teeth cleaning benefits, the cats must be allowed to chew and work the raw meat. Eventually, you can increase the size of the pieces until they can eat them uncut.

The other benefit is it allows them an opportunity to channel that little dormant lion that lives in every one of our cats. There is nothing cuter than to hear your kitties growling as they tear apart their prey even if it's supermarket bought
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 02:54 AM
Cat Addict

^^Thats my favorite part too! When I give my boys their wings they get all growly and just go to town, my little carnivores! I love it! I don't know why, I think its cute.

Anyway, yes marie, they eat them bones and all and love every bite!

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 01:35 AM
Cool Cat

I give my cats cut up raw meat on occasion (no bone), and they never seem to have a problem with it. I have heard a few members suggest that it may not be safe to feed raw with kibble because kibble has a longer digestion time and could "trap" the bacteria from the raw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page