Eating surface - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
Eating surface

Hey guys,

I am wondering - what surface do you feed your cats their raw food on? I've found that plates/deep bowls don't work - they seem to get disturbed by the non-flat surface. Plastic holds onto odor like crazy, so large placemats seem out of the question. Do you think it is possible to buy some sort of large aluminum sheet or something? Or do most of you use paper plates? I haven't tried those yet to see if they may accept them over regular plates/bowls, but I feel like it's wasteful because I feed three cats, three times per day - so that'd be 9 plates per day :/

Opinions?

Thanks!

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Cool Cat

My cats don't have their "own" plates. I generally use my dessert plates and sandwich plates (the cheap colorful plastic ones you can buy in the summer) to feed the cats, and then I run them through the dishwasher with the rest of my dishes (it has a "sanitize" setting).
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Banned

All of my cats are fed on 8" glass salad plates I bought at Target; I have met no resistance to eating off these.

http://www.target.com/Presence-Glass-Plate

Regards.

AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Cool Cat

I've heard from talking to various raw feeders on here that both very shallow stainless steel dishes or glass plates seem to work well.

Thanks for that link AC! I actually have been on the lookout for new dishes for my cats, since the plastic bowls seem to be giving them trouble, especially with the raw. Those plates look perfect!

Edit: Oo perfect, they have them in stock at one of my local Targets according to their website. Think I'll grab a set today when I run out for some chai tea.

Last edited by saitenyo; 01-16-2011 at 03:16 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 02:05 AM
Cat

I am feeding mine with my 5 inch plates, Panther like to pick food out of the plate and eat at the carpet right next to it. Maybe I should try those 8 inch plate and see if it works better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by koobe View Post
I am feeding mine with my 5 inch plates, Panther like to pick food out of the plate and eat at the carpet right next to it. Maybe I should try those 8 inch plate and see if it works better.
Sigma does this too, so I have been putting a placemat under his bowl. I have small, stainless steel bowls for when they eat chunks of muscle meat (beef/lamb heart, chicken breast, liver, etc.) but I haven't been able to find something non-flat that they'll eat their chicks off of so I've just been using large placemats :/ Sigma would pull his out of his bowl, and cleaning up squirting guts and brains from a chick is pretty disgusting. Thus, I need something nearly flat.

I'm going to try to find some (cheap), very shallow plates for them. Stainless steel would be great. The Target plates look nice, (I like that they're clear), but they struggle with deep bowls so I think the edges might be too high. My mom has a metal meat platter that would work perfectly - too bad it's in Canada and I'm in The Netherlands!

Thanks for the advice!

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

P.S. I must say that deciding to feed our cats a raw diet is one of the best decisions my boyfriend and I have ever made, and probably one of my favorite decisions. Seeing them chomp away on food they were "meant" to eat is simply amazing to me. We brought home a large (~30cm/12 inch) mackrel on Saturday to see how they'd react and only the kitten really knew what to do (She is a very enthusiastic eater.) Once she got her face right in the fish (guts and everything - she's also a very messy eater!) the other two caught on. Then they ate their fill - the kitten actually walked away from it because she couldn't eat anymore - she had never done that before. My boyfriend also brought home some feeder mice for them one time and that was also great to watch. It is our hobby to buy them something "exotic" every weekend when we go shopping on Saturdays, it's so fun!

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyuh View Post
Sigma does this too, so I have been putting a placemat under his bowl. I have small, stainless steel bowls for when they eat chunks of muscle meat (beef/lamb heart, chicken breast, liver, etc.) but I haven't been able to find something non-flat that they'll eat their chicks off of so I've just been using large placemats :/ Sigma would pull his out of his bowl, and cleaning up squirting guts and brains from a chick is pretty disgusting. Thus, I need something nearly flat.

I'm going to try to find some (cheap), very shallow plates for them. Stainless steel would be great. The Target plates look nice, (I like that they're clear), but they struggle with deep bowls so I think the edges might be too high. My mom has a metal meat platter that would work perfectly - too bad it's in Canada and I'm in The Netherlands!

Thanks for the advice!
Actually the Target ones don't have very high edges. They look a little higher in the picture, but they're nice and shallow.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitenyo View Post
Actually the Target ones don't have very high edges. They look a little higher in the picture, but they're nice and shallow.
Oh nice, I'll have to look for something like that - we don't have Targets in The Netherlands Perhaps IKEA or Western Europe's version of 'the dollar store' will prove fruitful.

Thanks!

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyuh View Post
Oh nice, I'll have to look for something like that - we don't have Targets in The Netherlands Perhaps IKEA or Western Europe's version of 'the dollar store' will prove fruitful.

Thanks!
Alas! Target is such a wonderful store. But yeah I imagine Ikea or any other place that sells dishes would have something similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page