Question on Replacing Sardines and Egypt's Progress... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Question on Replacing Sardines and Egypt's Progress...

Question

I was feeding canned sardines to add some Omega3 oils in my cats' diets, but recently, sardines have been on sale at the supermarket and I cannot find the unsalted kind to save my life. So, last night, while at the asian market, I found packs of raw anchovies, cleaned, but not marinated or salted so I bought 2 packs for $3 ea. I am thinking feeding 5 anchovies per cat per week should be good, but I am not 100% sure about making this switch. I found a site which stated that sardines contain 1.4 g of fish oils while anchovies only .4 g per 5 fillets. So that would mean about 5 anchovies per cat / week. Any other problems anyone knows about feeding anchovies to raw fed cats? I don't want to feed too many anchovies at one time and risk them having digestion issues. I guess I could also increase the anchovies to 2x/week, but does anyone actually know how many grams of Omega3 fish oils an average weight cat requires?

Egypt

I was about to start reversing her raw fed meal as of last night. It was Azalia's birthday and I fed them scraps of the meat I was preparing while I was doing it...I figured she deserved it since it was her special day. Since I had some odd numbers left over, I decided to feed them a raw meal for dinner. They ate it fine, but this morning, I saw Egypt chocking again while she was sleeping beside me, and when I got up this morning, found vomit near the litterbox. So...I guess the doctor was right. Egypt cannot tolerate digesting raw that late at night...go figure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Cool Cat

I don't know much about different types of fish yet (still puzzling out omega 3 requirements myself and going to ask my vet about it on Tues) so I can't help you there.

But it's interesting that Egypt has time-sensitive eating issues. It seems bizarre but I know there are certain things I can't eat early in the morning. Didn't know it could happen with cats too, but that makes sense!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Saitenyo,

Ooooh ooooh, can you update us about the Omega 3 requirement your vet recommends? I am trying to google this and not finding much...thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweamgoil View Post
Saitenyo,

Ooooh ooooh, can you update us about the Omega 3 requirement your vet recommends? I am trying to google this and not finding much...thanks!
Will do! I have a massive list of questions to ask him since the necessity (or lackthereof) of supplements is my biggest confusion so far (I know a lot of raw recipes recommend at least fish body oil if not actual fish once or twice a week).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page