Vomited after eating chicken heart and liver - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Vomited after eating chicken heart and liver

I'm at my 2nd day of supplementing my cats with raw.
I usually feed them twice a day with kibble. Yesterday I gave them a chunk of muscle with a bit of bone and a piece of chicken neck each before their evening meal an they were fine.
Today, I gave them a chicken heart and some liver each. Tiger ate his very slowly because he couldn't figure out how to eat it. Nemo attacked his share with gusto but he did tear and chew properly.
An hour later Nemo suddenly vomited. This happened before they were fed kibble. Could it be the liver's fault? Should I throw out all the livers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Senior Cat

Yuo dont have to throw th livers out, but do not feed them ANY organs yet!! GO SLOW.

Meat/bone only for a few weeks until they are settled on it, then you can put a little wee piece of liver in with some boney meals.

More info later, I am onmy way to work!

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I think I should clarify a little more. I'm not switching my cats to a 100% raw diet. I'm living in a condo so there's limited kitchen and freezer space, I'm a uni student and my parents aren't gonna help me prepare these stuff for me so I'm on my own.
What I plan to do is to give the kitties raw meals in place of their kibble about 3-4 times a week.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

I think I'd vomit too if I had to eat raw liver.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
I think I'd vomit too if I had to eat raw liver.
But you are not a cat.

Just to make sure, was the food super cold, or partially frozen at all? One of my cats consistently throws up her food when it's too cold so I have to really make sure it's fully defrosted and regular fridge temp or warmer before giving it to her.

Organs, I believe, are also very rich, so it could be they're not used to it yet. If this is the first time they've ever had raw meat, then introducing meat, organ, and bone all at once may have been a little too fast.

Also, our (and a cat's) ability to digest and tolerate certain foods can be dependent on our gut flora. They may need some time to develop the appropriate bacteria in their gut to digest it, so I'd stick with introducing very small pieces of meat-only for now, gradually increasing those amounts, and then introduce organ once it's clear they can easily digest raw meat. Bone can be introduced once they've built up the appropriate jaw strength (i.e. when they seem to be handling the meat chunks with ease), but again, introduce that slowly and in small pieces at first to get both their jaws and their stomachs used to handling it. Stick with soft small bones line chicken ribs (necks may be too much at first) or the little bones from quail or cornish game hens.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Cat Addict

I agree with what the others have said...go slow!

Having said that, some cats also have their own preferences. With my cats, Azalia hates beef liver. She is the fussiest one. She'll eat it now because she knows that if not, she'll have to wait until her next meal to get something she likes. The other cats have no problem eating her share if she doesn't want it. Personally, I see it as similar to training the kids to eat veggies. It usually only takes one meal to get the message across.

If you are substituting raw for the kibble, you need to ensure you have plenty of variety, but you will need to work up to it...don't rush them or it will come back to you, literally
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

thanks for all the great advice everyone is giving

The meat wasn't frozen. On both days, I went to the market with my father (I had a lot of free time on those two days.) and got the meat. He stashed the human's share in the freezer and I kept some for the cats in the fridge, then washed it in regular tap water before serving.
They were fine after having the chicken necks, but I'll try and look for smaller bones the next time I get the time to go to the market.

Thanks for all the advice again!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Banned

My recommendation - if you're truly only feeding raw 3 or 4 times a week, don't feed any bone-in or organ meals. The cat doesn't need either since more than half the diet is "balanced" commercial and you take the chance of too much bone - which makes for constipation - or too much organ (although unlikely, it's still possible).

Make your life easier and just feed a variety of meats.

AC
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

so instead of giving a boney treat one day, and a muscle treat another day, I should mix them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page