New theory - ALPHA diet? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Cat

New theory - ALPHA diet?

I saw a new frozen and freeze-dried raw dog food in a pet store called Vital Essentials. They will have cat food coming up soon. I took a look and they wrote about ALPHA diet. They said in the wild, the ALPHA cat ate a prey first, and will eat the organs first. So the ALPHA will eat more organs than all other cats. This brand of food contains 45% of vital organs, so as to feed our animals in same way an ALPHA will eat in the wild.

This is the website: Vital Essentials Natural 100% raw pet food diet for dogs and cats.

We have talked about Vitamin A poisoning if we give too much liver, so does this 45% vital organ ALPHA diet make sense? If yes, should liver still be kept at 5% and use other organs to make up the other 40%?

Has anyone tried this brand? Let's talk about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 01:37 AM
Banned

I don't know if the feeding behavior described is accurate, but if so, it only applies to cats that form prides, so it's not an applicable model for our domestic cats or their ancestors.

So, no, I wouldn't feed a food that heavy on organs. And truth be told, I have a feeling the only reason for such a blend is to garner sales (appealing to owners who are beginning to realize just what our cats should be eating) while spending the least amount of money on the actual product (organs being far, far cheaper than meat).

And come to think of it, I'd bet a lot of our cats would have trouble with this diet - it's a known fact that too much organ causes upset tummies and diarrhea.

What say others?

AC
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 06:25 AM
Jr. Cat

I think the RMB is still the best choice. As those who graciously commented on my previous questions already know, too much organs made my cat vomit :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Premier Cat

I can't speak to the raw aspect, since I don't feed raw, but from a behavioral standpoint, I find their claim dubious. When cats live in colonies or even in larger multi-cat households, you rarely find a single "alpha" cat. The dynamics are ever changing, such that one cat is the alpha in one situation or at one particular time, and then another is the alpha at another time, and then another at some other time, and so forth. I'd be surprised if they have any actual data to back up their claim. So, I agree with AC...it sounds like a marketing gimmick to me.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Premier Cat

My cats won't eat raw food, so they get no-grain high quality canned and a little no-grain kibble.

When I had indoor/outdoor cats many years ago (strictly indoor ones now), they always brought home their prey to our back door----mice, voles, baby and a few adult rabbits, birds, and one time a weasel. For mice and voles and birds all that was left was the occasional foot and the gallbladder; for birds; didn't eat the feet, a few flight feathers or sometimes the wings; for rabbits they ate the heads and some of the body, but not usually; weasel wasn't eaten. Based on that, I wouldn't be inclined to a raw food that was mostly organ meats.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Cool Cat

I have to agree with the other comments. It sounds like they're attempting to apply large social predator behavior to small, solitary felines.

I can't comment on the dog angle as I've not done as much research into domestic dog nutritional requirements, but I do think they have a broader range of food tolerances than cats, so maybe they do fine on this diet, who knows. It's worth noting that all of the positive comments in their testimonial section are from dog owners. There's not one mention of a cat on this diet.

I'd definitely be wary of feeding a diet so high in organs to my cats. It just doesn't seem to properly mimic what they'd naturally eat (which of course therefore defeats the key point of feeding raw).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitenyo View Post
I have to agree with the other comments. It sounds like they're attempting to apply large social predator behavior to small, solitary felines.

I can't comment on the dog angle as I've not done as much research into domestic dog nutritional requirements, but I do think they have a broader range of food tolerances than cats, so maybe they do fine on this diet, who knows. It's worth noting that all of the positive comments in their testimonial section are from dog owners. There's not one mention of a cat on this diet.

I'd definitely be wary of feeding a diet so high in organs to my cats. It just doesn't seem to properly mimic what they'd naturally eat (which of course therefore defeats the key point of feeding raw).
Yes, the brand is for dog food for now, they said the cat food is coming soon. So there is no testimonial from cat owners. But I think they will hold the same rules for cat food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Senior Cat

This diet would only work for dogs IF.. big if.

If the owners were knowledgable. If they gorged and fasted their dogs like a wild dog would (eat their fill of a carcass, yes, usually organs first - but lots of meat and bone too) and then not eat for days.

They also often catch small prey and eat it whole, like mice, rabbits, birds, etc. They would have to feed a lot of whole prey also. So I really don't think MOST owners will use that diet properly and they will have a ton of people complaining about their dogs having the runs (and possibly dying from dehydration depending on the stupidity of the owners).

This is a recipe for disaster and I feel for anyones dogs/cats who fall for this 'fad', badly researched, diet.

Kelly

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I am going to do some more research on this.
I am wondering if this company considers heart as an organ too.

These are what they listed on the site. The beef food has quite a few different type of organs in it, but the chicken one is basically heart and liver. I will have to look at the nutrition facts too see how it differs from other commercial raw. I understand this is a dog food, but I don't think there will be many differences from the cat food they are going to produce soon. If we think this food will give dogs/cats problems, maybe we should say something.

BEEF INGREDIENTS

Beef, beef tripe, beef lung, ground beef bone, beef liver, beef heart, beef kidney, dried organic kelp, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, ferrous sulfate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate, cobalt sulfate, choline chloride, dl-alpha tocopherol acetate (vitamin E), niacin, calcium pantothenate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, biotin.

CHICKEN INGREDIENTS

Ground chicken with bone, chicken heart, chicken liver, dried organic kelp, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, ferrous sulfate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate, cobalt sulfate, choline chloride, dl-alpha tocopherol acetate (vitamin E), niacin, calcium pantothenate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, biotin.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page