Cap'n Jack crunches away on bone & other stories - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Cap'n Jack crunches away on bone & other stories

Just some info for people who are getting into raw.

I feed Miu and Rocky the dog raw. Both display some difficulty with the bones. Like as they're crunching, they'll turn their heads sideways for leverage. My god, when I first gave Cap'n Jack an experimental quail drumstick. He ate like it was absolutely nothing, like it was a regular piece of meat! I could hear his teeth/jaw just crunching on it powerfully. WOW! I used to have qualms...not anymore.

For Miu, she didn't like quail wing tips which is what I fed at the onset for introduction. She even tossed them out of her plate. I then tried the mid-section which she ate. But ha! I beat her at her own game. I started to give her the entire wing with drumstick, mid-section and tip all together. She had no choice asides from chewing it off. I see that she's grudgingly accepted it. HA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Premier Cat

Perhaps Cap'n Jack was used to eating his own catch when he was out on his own!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Cool Cat

It's interesting how different cats take to it differently! Sometimes even when prior experience isn't a factor.

Apollo is...eating impaired. He doesn't seem to understand how to chew food. Even when he eats canned or ground raw he makes a huge mess because he just licks it across the plate and refuses to bite it. So far any meat chunks I give him have to be cut into tiny pieces, and any time he's had bone so far, he gives up fairly quickly.

Athena on the other hand, eats anything like a pro. The first time I ever gave her a chunk of raw chicken (it was a big chunk too!) she just gnawed it right up, no problems at all!

It's funny because I don't think either of them had much time (if any) on their own before going to shelters/rescues. But with Athena, you'd think she'd been eating raw her whole life! XD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

@Susan: You're probably right! He's wary and skittish, but man, he's one powerfully muscular guy. It's darn funny. Like a WWF guy doing ballet or something. I feel if he wanted to he can snap Miu's neck in half. Some days I worry when I see him slap her back after she bullies him.

I think Miu has to build up her jaw strength.

On a side note: why do they always have to drag the meaty bones off the plate and eat it on the ground?! Sigh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page