Won't tackle large chicken chunks? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Won't tackle large chicken chunks?

I feed him raw chicken wings, liver and breasts but he won't eat them if I don't cut them in very small pieces. His teeth look healthy and he's young, and he doesn't complain while eating. His diet is based on dry food pellets.

I found him in the street and he seems to be an abandoned house cat. Could it be he's not used to big chunks of meat?

I personally would like him to exercise his jaws, use his teeth and chew (and eat) a (raw, big, harmless) bone. I don't believe in cooking and pureeing everything he eats...

I'm now marinating a half chicken wing in Felix gravy, will see if he takes to it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:41 AM
Cool Cat

How long has he been eating raw? Some cats seem to take to large pieces slower than others, for the reasons you describe. If he's used to kibble and/or canned he may need some time to build up the jaw strength and skills necessary to sheer the meat on his own.

I'd start with just small cut up pieces of raw chicken, and then introduce larger pieces, and eventually small bones like chicken ribs or quail/cornis game hen bones. Once he gets used to those he can tackle larger bones like chicken necks.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 01:47 PM
Cat Addict

Saitenyo gave you good advice. It sounds like it will just take time to work him up to larger pieces of meat and eventually bone. Some cats are very set in their ways and have a hard time with change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thank you for the great advice! Indeed, he wouldn't even look at the chicken wing a few days ago, and today at least he ate small chunks of it.

I so wish he could tell me his story...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straysmommy View Post
Thank you for the great advice! Indeed, he wouldn't even look at the chicken wing a few days ago, and today at least he ate small chunks of it.

I know what you mean! Apollo is a total raw noob, clearly, but the skill with which Athena chews meat always makes me wonder if her foster or someone else fed her raw before I adopted her. Or perhaps she's just a natural!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Don't we all

Some cats are just better at it. Between my 3, Azalia is always the dainty and picky eater. Egypt is like a garbage disposal and her jaw strength is kinda frightening. And Lacey, who came to me at 6 mos and was never fed raw, took to it right away and has had no trouble eating any larger pieces, but the bone had to be worked up to.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Jr. Cat

I give my cats chicken neck couple times a week. I skin off the neck, chop it to 1in length, then hammer it so it's soft...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Prince doesn't have a problem with raw. His problem is with big pieces or pieces attached to the bone. I can give him the best food he loves and if it's not cut in tiny pieces, he won't even attempt to eat it. He just leaves it there. He's not making any progress...

This thread shouldn't have been moved to this new forum, as his problem is with cooked meat too.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Prince doesn't have a problem with raw. His problem is with big pieces or pieces attached to the bone. I can give him the best food he loves and if it's not cut in tiny pieces, he won't even attempt to eat it. He just leaves it there. He's not making any progress...

This thread shouldn't have been moved to this new forum, as his problem is with cooked meat too.
How long has he been at it?

Apollo is the same way about all food too. He won't eat his ground raw, or canned, unless I mash it up for him or at least separate it out into smaller chunks. He doesn't seem to like chewing, just licking (and his teeth/gums are perfectly healthy).

I'm told it sometimes just takes time, but I haven't been at it that long with Apollo so I'm not sure. I suppose it's possible some cats will just always refuse to chew.rip large pieces of food.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Saltenyo, it's been just 2 weeks, and I've been trying to give him bigger and bigger chunks, gradually, but he won't eat them. He does tackle heartily a big slice of cold-cuts or roast-chicken skin, though. His reaction to a big chunk of food is as if it wasn't food - he smells it and goes away. Then I cut it tiny and he'll devour it with gusto. Maybe so much kibble makes them lose the taste for bigger stuff... You know, on the other hand, he chews on his hard-plastic toys like a tiger!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page