Can't Get Cat to Eat Mice - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Can't Get Cat to Eat Mice

Mkay, so I've been trying to get Sugar to eat mice for a loooong time now. Skooma happily chows down on hers but Sugar just won't do it. She mostly flings it around the house, for hoooours. I figured she'd eat it eventually but the mice begin to break apart and I would prefer to not have mouse guts on my rug (floor don't matter because 'wipe' and yer done).

This is what I have tried so far:

I have pulled all the guts out and offered them separately (will lick then shake head and leave it alone)

Cut them in half and offered the 'goodie' half and the meaty half (flings it around... not a happy floor time)

Skinned it to best of my ability (hard to skin mice, lemme tell you)

'Shaved' the fur to the best of my ability

Covered whole mice in wet cat food, covered cut up mice in wet cat food, covered mice guts in wet cat food, stuffed wet cat food into empty mice cavities (ditto for dry cat food)

Put Sugar and food in bathroom hoping she'll get bored (she just frantically tries to escape, completely ignoring the food dish)

Played with the mice to entice her, played with half severed mice (accidental tastings common and apparently undesirable)

Covered the mice in tuna juice, covered the mice in chicken stock, covered the mice in chicken juice, covered the mice in blood (which she loves licking up but still no dice on the mice)

Finally, I sliced into the skin at the head, in the middle, and near the bottom to give her no area where she couldn't taste it. She hasn't eaten a full meal in two days (just supplements) and she just bloody played with it. I even pulled the guts out and she ignored them to play with it some more (getting mice juice all over my rug)

I'm at my wits end with this. I can't stand our local pet stores mice (thin, pathetic, overbred pieces of sad mouseflesh) so I have no available pinkies or hoppers just the juniors and adults I ordered for Skooma a loooong time ago. In order to make the shipping worthwhile I'd have to order in bulk and my finances aren't so hot at the moment. I just want her to eat mice so I can make their frankenprey diet when I have time instead of rushing through it!

Please, can anyone help me? Any ideas? Stuff that worked with your cats? Some wacky, crazy, over the top, solution?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Premier Cat

Face it, Sugar doesn't like mice, not all cats will eat them. Give her something she does like. She should not be going without any food for a couple of days, or you're risking her developing fatty liver disease. Cats have dislike of certain foods too. I don't like artichokes or sauerkraut.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Tom Cat

It won't be fun but you can try lightly cooking skinned mice, only enough to shear the outside flesh. Cooked flesh may be more enticing, than raw, for your kitty. If they take to it, then just cooked it less and less until they are eating it raw. Aside from that, you have tried just about what all others have done, to get there cats to eat whole prey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat

@catloverami: I would never starve any of my cats. When she doesn't eat the mice I give her some deer meat that's in the fridge. I just give her a little less than what she normally gets so the next time I try the mice she's a little hungrier.

She may not like mice but I'll keep trying since it's the only whole prey I have access to. None of my cats liked moose or elk but if that's all I have access to then they'd better eat it (which they eventually did). I think it's because Sugar has been inside since she was six weeks when I picked her up at six months. Her food has come in frankenprey and she doesn't recognize the whole prey.

@chris10: Eeeewww, that sounds pretty gross. I'll try it next time. And try to skin the mice :/ darn things are so small.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page