They just stopped eating all their raw food... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

They just stopped eating all their raw food...

So, all of a sudden my cats won't eat their raw patties.

We were trying to slowly faze out the canned/cooked Wellness. We finally got down to none, and they just stopped eating the raw all together. After a couple days of them not eating the raw, we put a tiny amount of the Wellness back in the bowl, and they just ate the Wellness and left the raw.

Now we have gone back to the full can of Wellness and 2 raw patties, but they barely eat the raw. Cheeks and Yoshi will pick at it, but Riku and Nermal (who are normally the pigs) won't touch it. We tried getting new flavors, smaller patties... mixing the canned and the raw... no luck.

Why is this happening? I am afraid of starving them, but I don't want to feed them just canned. Their health has improved so much since switching to raw.

But, Riku and Nerm seem to be puking more lately, I'm not sure what to do. They always loved their kibble, never had issues with that. And they hadn't had issues with the raw until now. That's been about 5-6 months now.

Anyone else have this issue? If so, how do we fix it? Poor kitties.... Riku even tries to eat plastic bags now. It's like she is losing her mind!

-Krystal

Krystal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

One strange addition to this though... is that both Riku and Nermal (The 2 that don't see to eat the raw food) have gained weight in the last month. That is super weird considering they eat way less.

Nermal has gained 1 lb since 1-9-11 and Riku has gained 3 lbs. Where Yoshi and Cheeks have maintained the same weight. Super confusing. But Nerm and Riku go around meowing and pawing @ me like they are starving to death.

Krystal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Cool Cat

Maybe something in this particular brand isn't sitting well with them (thus he vomiting) or maybe it's temperature-related? Obviously the raw is cold if it's been defrosted in the fridge. Do you warm it at all? One of my cats (Athena) vomits if her food is too cold and got to the point where she will not eat it cold, so I always warm it in a plastic baggy in a bowl of warm water before feeding.

Also, if you're using the same flavor, it could be they just got bored. Apollo did this. He loved raw at first, but then just stopped eating it after a little while. I discovered he's willing to eat it as long as I rotate flavors regularly (using 3 flavors of Primal right now, and occasionally add some grain-free canned).

You may want to try offering them a different flavor or even a different brand (if you have more than one available) or alternate between raw and canned and see how that goes.

I'd give them a few days on just the canned before trying the raw again. If it's a flavor pickiness thing, that should help. I gave Apollo canned only for a few days, then started slowly reintroducing the raw, at first he was eating mostly the canned and leaving the raw, but eventually he got to the point where he was picking out the raw again and leaving the canned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Premier Cat

I thought the same thing, about it being too cold. I take mine out to thaw on the counter in their individual covered bowls, and have yet to have a problem. If it's a bit to cold yet when I feed, I microwave it for about 4 or 5 seconds. I read somewhere that cats will puke more if they are eating cold foods.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks guys! I tried that this morning, and no pukes! But, still won't touch the raw Might have to go through the while transition process again with the dehydrated raw.

We use Stella & Chewy's raw food. It's a new brand our local pet shop brought in. They loved it at first... now meh... whatever. Maybe I should give a different brand a try?

Krystal
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Premier Cat

Yes, try another brand, and see what happens. Can't hurt. Maybe something in the ingredients upsets their tummies.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Cat

I'm sorry, I don't have any advice (see my "Learning about Raw" thread.) I'm going through the same thing.

I feel your pain.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Jr. Cat

Dalsoo pukes up beef. I heard some cats vomit up beef. To warm up food, i usually baggy in the tepid water, then add some warm water. I avoid using microwave.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I don't use the microwave either. Well I put the bowl with the warm water in there because Cheeks will try to help himself to dinner inside the Ziploc baggy if I don't put it where he can't get it lol.

But so far... we are good again... eating both the patties and the canned food!!!! (And since warming the patties/canned food... no more barfing.) We changed their eating schedule... went from 3 feedings down to 2, so I am wondering if that just made them mad or confused their little internal clocks for a bit... but are now getting used to it. (Crossing fingers)

Krystal

Last edited by marie73; 09-27-2011 at 01:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page