Turkey Neck Advice - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
NRD
Tom Cat

Turkey Neck Advice

I have a question on how to serve turkey necks.

Some background. I spoke to the butcher at my local market the other day about getting chicken necks and gizzards for my Fab Four. He said I'd only find them tucked into whole chickens they sell. Imagine my surprise when two days later I found a package with a turkey neck and subback for sale. I grabbed it.

My guys have had virtually no raw food with me until now, but I'm delighted to say three of the four are naturals. I cut up the subback into small but chewable pieces and gave it to all four of them last night and tonight, mixed in with their Evo wet. Boy did it bring out their primal instincts!!!

Hersh and Little Hersh, my Havana Brown mixes, devoured it like true carnivores. Little Hersh's little growls were even louder than usual. Snowby, too, ate hers like a pro. Only Blizzy struggled, licking and having a hard time figuring out how to bite through the pieces. Those who are reading my other thread on Snowby's problems with Blizzy may be as astounded as I was that Snowby tried to muscle BLizzy off of his food dish to get at his raw chunks he was still struggling with, and she would have succeeded if I did not push her away. Hersh and Little Hersh were also aggressively angling for them, but I wanted Blizzy to practice, too. Except for Little Hersh, they never exhibit that aggression towards the others' food dishes nowadays. The raw did it.

Now for my question. I can't figure out how to cut up or break the turkey next into pieces that I can serve to my little ones. The subbacks were easy, as they were all meat. The turkey neck is mainly gristle and skin. Could someone kindly tell me what I am supposed to do? I had read recently in another thread that serving circular chicken neck pieces is good for them to chew on, for gum and tooth health, but I can't figure out how to do that with my turkey neck.

Any "how-to" would be appreciated--and not just be me, but by them, since they looove their raw food!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Jr. Cat

I haven't seen turkey neck. How much is it bigger than chicken neck? I give my cats chicken necks. I skin off it, chop it to 1.5 inch length then soften it by hammering it. My cats are still practicing chewing...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
NRD
Tom Cat

THis turkey neck is about 9-10 inches long, curved. Don't know exact thickness, but maybe about the size of a fat finger in thickness.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 12:48 AM
Cat Addict

I haven't found turkey necks here, but I do feed chicken necks in 1" pieces. I basically snap the necks at one of the vertebrae instead of trying to cut through the bone itself. Then, I simply slice through them with the knife. The cats can then eat them with ease.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 02:36 AM
Banned

Chicken necks are not always a good choice for brand new raw food eaters who might not have either the strength or the experience to scissor through the tendons and bone... and I would imagine turkey necks would be even more difficult. Chicken ribs, the smaller parts of chicken wings and quail bones might be a better choice for newbies.

If I were you, I might freeze the turkey necks for later, when your cats have gained a bit more experience and confidence with raw bone-in meals. At that time, however, you can use kitchen shears to cut between the bones, and a hammer to break them up a bit.

I always love reading of cats going all "primal" at mealtimes once they've been offered raw.

AC
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
NRD
Tom Cat

Thanks, AC! Very helpful, as usual. So, chicken ribs and small parts of chicken wings it is, for now. Turkey neck goes in freezer for later on. I assume I leave the skin on these bite-size portions, even though I personally find the raw skin without socially redeeming value for me! Presumably it's got some nutritional elements good for them.

And yeah, I loved their primal reaction, too!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRD View Post
Thanks, AC! Very helpful, as usual. So, chicken ribs and small parts of chicken wings it is, for now. Turkey neck goes in freezer for later on. I assume I leave the skin on these bite-size portions, even though I personally find the raw skin without socially redeeming value for me! Presumably it's got some nutritional elements good for them.

And yeah, I loved their primal reaction, too!
Cats need more fat content in their diet than we do, so I leave the skin on their chicken wings and turkey drumsticks; I do, however, cut it off the chicken leg quarters and the chicken ribs w/breast meat.

Always glad to be of help!

AC
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Cool Cat

IMO turkey necks are too large for a cat. The ones I've seen are better for a small dog, my aunt and uncle's 18 pound dog is just the right size. However what you are describing doesn't sound as thick as the ones I've seen, so maybe yours do not have bones as large.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page