Ordering raw online? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Ordering raw online?

I'm considering ordering raw online in an effort to increase the variety in my cats' diets. As I've mentioned in other threads, Apollo stops eating his food if he gets too much of the same thing, and I've been having a hard time finding enough variety (of either premade mixes or homemade ingredients) in local stores so I'm currently having to supplement his diet with canned to keep him from getting bored with his food.

Does anyone have experiences with ordering either premade raw or homemade ingredients/whole prey online?

Any good site recommendations? I know there are a few in the raw resources thread on here but I'm also interested in sites that ship premade commercial raw like Primal, as well as whole prey or frankenprey ingredients.

Basically I just want to see what my options are and figure out if this is more cost-effective or not, and if it's even viable. Sadly I have limited freezer space at the moment so I can't order a ton of stuff at once, so I'd need places that can ship a variety of flavors/meats in one order.

I asked my local pet store about special-ordering different Primal flavors for me, but they said they can only order them in single-flavor cases of 6, and would have to sell me all 6 at once. There's no way I can fit 6 bags of Primal in my freezer at once, and it kind of defeats the purpose if they're all the same flavor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Cool Cat

I was looking for deer meat (for me), and got a site that seemed decent for feeding stuff to cats, too. They have deer, buffalo and cow I think. It's bedtime now, but I'll search for it tomorrow if you want.
It was about $4 a pound, but it seemed good quality too.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Jr. Cat

I think onlynaturalpet.com sells frozen pre-made. Shipping is ~$10, as far as I remember. It was not economical for me to spend that much for money for shipping.

I live in NW area and also inquired shipping from whole foods for pets. They only do bulk shipping, e.g. minimum 10 lbs and shipping was pretty hefty.
They only do rabbits... I don't think you want to get a lot of rabbit only.

I get ground rabbit from the local pet food store that focus on raw food - you may just try out google map and see what comes up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I was just looking at their website actually. They seem to have some great prices on premade raw, but yeah, ultimately the cost of shipping may make this not a viable option.

So far I've checked 4 local pet stores. Three only sell dog varieties of the various raw brands. The fourth carries Primal and Nature's Variety, but their Primal selection isn't fantastic. I'm considering just supplementing with some Nature's Variety to add more flavor options in, but I'm not sure they carry a ton of that either.

There are still 3 other pet stores I've yet to check because they're located a bit further away.

If only more people would turn to feeding their cats raw, then I'd probably have an easier time finding it as the demand went up.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 12:30 AM
Banned

Have you checked the Resources page of the Feline Nutrition Education Society? I know they have listings of commercial raw food types and stuff, but since I don't feed commercial, I'm not sure what's there.

I buy from Hare-Today on a regular basis; just got a shipment from them this week in fact. Some of their products are expensive, comparatively-speaking, but even with shipping incorporated into the price, the cost is lower than the same amount of canned foods would be (https://www.catforum.com/forum/62-raw...ine-order.html) and their variety (and quality) is hard to beat.

I buy turkey liver, rabbit, and duck, turkey and chicken hearts from them.

AC
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I did, sadly that section of the site is still a little limited. I hope they add more soon!

I did some price comparisons, and ordering from Feline's Pride or Only Natural Pet were definitely way more expensive than buying raw at my local store.

I'll check out Hare Today though, AC, thanks! I've heard about them many times before but thought they just did ground in large batches for some reason. I didn't realize you could order individual organs and stuff from them, that may be nice since I'm having such a hard time finding any organs besides chicken liver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page