Dalsoo need more bone than Piper... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Dalsoo need more bone than Piper...

Piper's stool is usually on the harder side even when I fed her dry food + can. After raw feeding, Piper's stool was rather chalky. I did not like this. It looks way too dry... On the other hand, Dalsoo's stool was a little on the soft side but not too bad.

Last week, when I made another batch of ground meal, I wanted to make it better for Piper. So, I removed some bones from the whole chicken, carefully weighing bone ~20% and meat ~80%. It was not that easy to separate the meat from the bone for weighing.

Now, Piper's stool is less chalky to the consistency I like, but Dalsoo's stool became softer, too soft.

I am guessing one of the reason is that Dalsoo eats a lot. He usually eats his portion and also finishes up Piper's left over. It must be about 6~7 oz per day for 12lbs, 10 month old big kitten.

I give my cats chicken neck as a snack twice or three times a week but it does not look enough for Dalsoo to help with his stool.

Does it sound right that I am feeding not enough bone to Dalsoo, but enough for Piper? I guess I am witnessing the fact that every cat is different, to its extreme ends?

If you want to add more bone only for Dalsoo, what would you do?

I am thinking I may add Primal (which contain more bone contents), or feed chicken wing. When you feed chicken wing, do you remove skin from the chicken wing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 12:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccomaya View Post
Piper's stool is usually on the harder side even when I fed her dry food + can. After raw feeding, Piper's stool was rather chalky. I did not like this. It looks way too dry... On the other hand, Dalsoo's stool was a little on the soft side but not too bad.

Last week, when I made another batch of ground meal, I wanted to make it better for Piper. So, I removed some bones from the whole chicken, carefully weighing bone ~20% and meat ~80%. It was not that easy to separate the meat from the bone for weighing.

Now, Piper's stool is less chalky to the consistency I like, but Dalsoo's stool became softer, too soft.

I am guessing one of the reason is that Dalsoo eats a lot. He usually eats his portion and also finishes up Piper's left over. It must be about 6~7 oz per day for 12lbs, 10 month old big kitten.

I give my cats chicken neck as a snack twice or three times a week but it does not look enough for Dalsoo to help with his stool.

Does it sound right that I am feeding not enough bone to Dalsoo, but enough for Piper? I guess I am witnessing the fact that every cat is different, to its extreme ends?

If you want to add more bone only for Dalsoo, what would you do?

I am thinking I may add Primal (which contain more bone contents), or feed chicken wing. When you feed chicken wing, do you remove skin from the chicken wing?
While cats do have different needs - and one of the best perks of raw feeding a home-prepared diet is that we can tweak the menu to the needs of the cat - twenty percent bone is twice the maximum recommended level.

Cut the bone to half what you're currently feeding (10%).

Bone is not the only ingredient that affects stool consistency. What is your typical menu over a three-day period? Everything you fed, how often and how much?

AC
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I feed ground meat recipe posted on catinfo.org .
The 80% meat + 20% bone I mentioned in the original thread does not include egg yoke, heart, and liver that I add as required by recipe. Do I treat all those additions as meat and check if it makes bone 10%?

I am also a little confused about 10% bone. Everyone says if I use the whole chicken as a base for the ground recipe, then it is balanced. But, as I weigh the chicken, it actually had more bone, like about 30% bone so I removed some to make it lower.

Since I feed ground, I don't really have weekly menu, but it roughly goes like this.

In the morning, I feed each 2 oz of ground chicken recipe (chicken+liver+heart+egg yoke+supplement). Piper usually eats 1.5 oz and Dalsoo eats 2.5 oz (finishing up Piper's left over).

At the dinner, I again feed a little more than 2 oz of ground recipe. Piper finishes her 2oz and Dalsoo seems hungry with 2oz, so he ends up getting 2.5-3oz.

Twice a week, they get rabbit ground recipe (home-made), instead of the chicken. As instructed in the catinfo.org, I added some chicken thigh to add fat and some more meat.
Once a week, they get lamb pre-made (rad cat), instead of the chicken.

At night, three or two times a week, each cat gets 1 inch chicken neck.
Every night, each gets either one piece of chicken gizzard or one chicken heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

OK.. I calculated the bone % when I added liver, heart, and egg yoke. The 20% bone I said becomes 16% after including the additional meat stuff.
It's still high for your standard.

Well, I am just confused as I thought whole chicken would be appropriate and I was surprised how much bone I had to remove when I tried to make it to 20% bone from the whole chicken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page