raw diet prevents kidney failure? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

raw diet prevents kidney failure?

Can cats eat raw meat still have chance to get kidney disease? If I give my cat complete raw meat, would that prevent kidney disease?
How about feeding raw meat with calcium suppliment? I still hesitate to feed bones after one bad diarrhea. Would it be the same as complete raw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Cat Addict

A raw diet will discourage the development of diet-related diseases such as kidney failure and diabetes, yes. I recommend doing more research here for advice on how to make a balanced raw diet at home - there's some basics to learn, but after that it is not that hard, and very rewarding!...

And as far as bone causing diarrhea - actually it has the opposite effect, constipating if there's too much bone. Cats often get diarrhea at first if they are adjusting to any kind of diet change, so don't quit because of that.

Fran

Last edited by Fran; 02-12-2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Remove redundancy :)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Premier Cat

Fran how long have you been doing raw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Cool Cat

I don't know if anything is a surefire 100% preventative. Some people don't smoke a day in their lives and still get lung cancer. And some cats on fantastic diets may still develop a disease due to genetics.

But I do personally strongly believe that a quality diet can significantly reduce the chances of developing such diseases later in life.

I know some people use calcium supplements instead of bone. Personally I'm less comfortable with that. I'd much rather the cat gets all the benefits and nutrients found in real raw bone as opposed to trying to mimic those benefits with supplements.

If you're feeling nervous about making mistakes with a homemade diet, you could always try a commercial raw diet for a bit to help ease some of your fears. For me that really helped improve my understanding of how raw works, and its benefits, and I feel like it's better prepared me to introduce some homemade raw when I'm ready.

Seeing how well my cats have done on the commercial premade raw has assured me that if something goes wrong with any homemade raw that I introduce, it's not because it's a raw diet, but because I am doing something wrong in preparing it, and need to fix that.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Cat Addict

@ Mitts & Tess: We've been doing half-and-half for a little more than two years, which means about half of Gracie's life since she'll be four this Spring .

For the raw portion i make homemade raw using a powdered mix as a base. For her other meal she gets a no-grain, no fish, no filler canned food.

Fran
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:00 AM
Banned

As Saitenyo said, Hobbes, nothing is guaranteed in life. However, you increase the odds tremendously by providing a healthy diet.

I remember your thread about the bone issues; I'm so glad your kitty is doing better! Remember, though, it wasn't raw bone - which is soft, easily bent and easily digested - that caused the problem.

It's tough to get past the fear, I know, but bone-in meals are a very important part of a raw diet. I hope you are able to try again soon!

AC
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Yes, I would very much like to try bones again.
It seems that everytime I introduced some new raw meat, he would go straight into toilet and had soft stool. This time it is pork kidney, but the soft stool wasn't that bad this time.
Did that happen to anyone's cat during the transition period?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Senior Cat

A raw diet doesn't prevent kidney failure but it does make it much less likely than if you were feeding dry food.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Banned

Organs do cause soft stools. My initial menu included one meal a week totally of liver and one meal a week totally of kidney.

The cats would sometimes be sick and sometimes have soft stools and sometimes would take a very long time to eat the whole meal.

So I divided the amount in half and replaced the second half with either gizzards or breast meat. So now they have two liver and chicken gizzard meals and two kidney and chicken breast meat meals a week. This eases the organ impact on their tummies... well, actually, it eases the impact of the organ throughout their digestive system; no more being sick on the organs, no more too-soft stools.

AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page