diarrhea after eating raw pork kidney - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

diarrhea after eating raw pork kidney

I am in the process of switching to raw diet. I gave him a small piece of raw pork kidney and he went straight to litter after eating it and had loose stool. Does anyone know why?? Is kidney not easy to digest??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Senior Cat

Kidney is a very rich meat and is only supposed to be 5% of what you are feeding. Too much organ will lead to soft stool - but you're saying that he had that right after eating the organ? If it was caused by the kidney, it would have been several hours later.

Soft stool/diarrhea makes me think that either the cat is not getting enough bone or is getting too much organ meat.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Banned

What FF said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Cat Addict

I feed pork kidneys now every other week and we haven't had a problem with loose stools, but they do eat plenty of bone in meals to balance it out.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

It was the first time I gave him pork kidney. It was only about the size of a coin. Do you think he is just not used to it? I don't know why it is so hard to switch to raw. And my family keeps trying to discourage me from doing it after the first diarrhea from the bone and this loose stool from kidney. They said he had been happy and fine, and now I am causing problem for his bowel. Now I don't know if I should try kidney again or anything other than raw chicken.... (headache...)

Last edited by Hobbes; 02-13-2011 at 01:59 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
It was the first time I gave him pork kidney. It was only about the size of a coin. Do you think he is just not used to it? I don't know why it is so hard to switch to raw. And my family keeps trying to discourage me from doing it after the first diarrhea from the bone and this loose stool from kidney. They said he had been happy and fine, and now I am causing problem for his bowel. Now I don't know if I should try kidney again or anything other than raw chicken.... (headache...)
The kidney didn't cause the diarrhea, Hobbes. Whatever you fed to the cat at the meal or two before the kidney caused it.

Don't lose hope!

What are you feeding on a regular basis? If it's just chicken, and no bone, that would explain the loose stools.

You might want to take a step back, slow down a bit... if either your or Hobbes is not ready to be 100% raw, then going 100% raw will only cause stress for you both.

Can you feed canned in the morning while you and Hobbes are working the raw transition?

AC

Last edited by Auntie Crazy; 02-13-2011 at 02:39 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I normally give him canned food (chicken soup for pet lover or wellness) mixed with raw chicken meat and calcium lactate.
He has been doing well so far.
Everytime I give him something new, I get nervous. Last time I put a bit of sesame seed in his food, he also went straight into litter and had loose stool.
This time he went into litter like 10-15 minutes after eating pork kidney....
He normally poops at certain time in the afternoon, and when something makes his bowel moves faster, he would go right away at different time.
I tried beef last week, and he didn't like it, acting like it was something yucky...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
I normally give him canned food (chicken soup for pet lover or wellness) mixed with raw chicken meat and calcium lactate.
He has been doing well so far.
Everytime I give him something new, I get nervous. Last time I put a bit of sesame seed in his food, he also went straight into litter and had loose stool.
This time he went into litter like 10-15 minutes after eating pork kidney....
He normally poops at certain time in the afternoon, and when something makes his bowel moves faster, he would go right away at different time.
I tried beef last week, and he didn't like it, acting like it was something yucky...
You fed your cat... sesame seed?

Based on this, the cooked bone and the calcium lactate mixed into Hobbes canned foods, I think I would respectfully advise you to return to a fully canned diet for a couple of weeks (with no supplementation of anything), then do some in-depth reading on what raw feeding is, how it's done and how to make a proper transition.

It's admirable to want to feed your kitty only the best, but it's better to take it nice and slow, understanding what you're doing and why, than to jump right into it.

These threads, sites and articles should be helpful:
https://www.catforum.com/forum/62-raw...resources.html

Raw Fed Cats

Tips for transitioning - Getting dry food addicts to eat canned

How-to-transition-your-cat-to-a-raw-diet

Cat Nutrition - What if my cat won't eat raw?
Best regards.

AC
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I didn't put any bone since last time. I put only raw meat and calcium lactate....
I did do research on switching to raw diet. Some sites suggest to slowly add raw meat into canned food, which I did. But the problem rises when I try anything other than raw chicken. He just woke me up by going to litter to poop 2 more times this morning.
Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? I mean adding calcium lactate and raw meat to canned food.....(I know sesame is stupid by now, but I added just a few seeds cuz I saw some treats contain it.)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Jr. Cat

What is the ratio of raw food vs. canned food?
If your cat is not completely over to the raw food, I would not feed anything considered to be rich.

Did you look at how much you should feed calcium? As far as I understand, there are different recommend amount depending on the type of calcium supplement (e.g. lactate vs carbonate). You should not feed too much calcium.

If your cat continues to have tummy trouble, you may want to give your cat probiotic supplement or digestive enzyme, while slowing down the transition. You can find those supplements from onlynaturalpet.com. Well... I am not in such a good position to give an advice on your cat's tummy trouble. :p My own cat is still having loose stool and I am still trying to figure out what to do, at least it's not runny nor stinky.... :p

If you are worried about balancing your cat's diet, there are multiple different ways to start off feeding raw, which I went through.

1. Commercial raw: I started off with Primal Starter Pack (free sample with various meat nuggets). I mixed this in my cat's food little by little, increasing the amount of it. While doing so, I also figured out which meat my cat likes.
I'd recommend Primal Chicken or Turkey. I like Rad cat too.

2. Premix: One of my cat eats a lot and commercial raw was a little expensive. I did not have confidence doing it on my own. I started off with premix from tcfeline. The instruction is very simple but make sure you measure everything as instructed on the bag. You can order tcfeline from the Internet. The price is not too bad but not cheaper than the commercial raw. The advantage is that I get to choose the meat and the quality is a lot better than the commercial raw. My cats loved it.

3. Home-made ground raw: This is where I am at now. There was some initial investment to buy grinder and supplements but as I get to buy whole chicken etc, it becomes a little cheaper in the long run. I use recipe from catinfo.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page