Just chicken.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Just chicken....

..or all poultry....

MowMow has a chicken allergy and that is what's kept me from trying raw.. it seems to be the easies and most inexpensive meat to find but I can't feed it...

Would other poultry set off his allergies do you think? Quail, Cornish hens, duck, or turkey?

I'm afraid to just try it out and set off all his itches and infections....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Senior Cat

Cooking denatures the meat so even though a cat is allergic to cooked chicken that doesn't mean they can't have raw chicken.

Cornish Game Hen is just a small chicken, so if you want to avoid chicken altogether don't feed that.

Turkey the bones are going to be much to big for most cats. Duck could possibly work, at least some of the bones, and quail would work well too and MowMow could eat all the bone in that.

A meat you didn't mention is rabbit, which, although expensive (at least it is here - ~$10.00 a lb!) is a good source of bone.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Banned

Before you rule out chicken, have you done a trial run with raw chicken? It's often only the processed version of meat that provokes an "allergic" reaction and this could well be the case with MowMow.

AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

That is major food for thought (no pun intended). I'm always buying whole chickens since they are cheap for the amount of meals they provide (4 regular meals and 4 meals worth of soup).

So next time I get one I should snip off the wing tips and give them to him UNcooked? Skin and all and see how he does? I can also give him the innards that I usually throw away as well from what I'm reading here. Each time I send them down the garbage disposal I groan, I hate wasting food but I was always afraid they'd make him itch.

I'd love for this to work. I'd much prefer to put him on raw. His transformation from dry to good quality canned was amazing. I'm even more excited to see how well he looks from canned to raw.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
That is major food for thought (no pun intended). I'm always buying whole chickens since they are cheap for the amount of meals they provide (4 regular meals and 4 meals worth of soup).

So next time I get one I should snip off the wing tips and give them to him UNcooked? Skin and all and see how he does? I can also give him the innards that I usually throw away as well from what I'm reading here. Each time I send them down the garbage disposal I groan, I hate wasting food but I was always afraid they'd make him itch.

I'd love for this to work. I'd much prefer to put him on raw. His transformation from dry to good quality canned was amazing. I'm even more excited to see how well he looks from canned to raw.
Start him off on some meat first. It's likely he'll have no idea what to do with a bone-in meal and might get discouraged if he tries to eat it and can't.

What "innards"? If it's heart, ok; if it's liver or some other organ, wait until after you've done a trial run with the meat first.

AC
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Premier Cat

I'll be very interested in what comes of this! I've tried cooked chicken with horrible results, but that was before I realized my cats allergies were chicken related. But, I've never tried raw chicken.............I've been to...er.....chicken! Ba dum bump! LOL! I'm here all week folks!! LOL!

Anyway, I wanted also to mention that in all my research on allergies, I've read that IF a cat is allergic to chicken, it will have issues with all forms of fowl.........duck, turkey, quail. So, I've never considered other forms of fowl an option for us.

Please let us all know what comes of your attempt with raw chicken, I'm VERY curious myself!! Good luck!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Jr. Cat

I saw give the raw chicken a chance! Though she's a dog, Nina is allergic to chicken. COOKED chicken that is. I tried her on raw chicken and we have NO problems. As others said, cooking denatures chicken proteins. I'd do a short trial, and see how it goes.

I'd also try other poultry, they are similar but not exactly the same. Take it one step at a time though.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Cool Cat

I agree, try raw chicken. He may not have any reaction.

If he is allergic to the raw chicken you can still do raw. But you'll have to find another source of bone as I think most of us use chicken bones. Willie loved rabbit bones, but yes, rabbits are not cheap, though I know Willie could eat every bone in the body of the rabbit (it was a young rabbit) so there was no waste like with chicken (he can only eat wings and ribs of full grown chicken). You could also do a more prey model diet and feed dead mice, quail, guinea pigs, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page