Is bonemeal a good substitue for bones? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Is bonemeal a good substitue for bones?

I am new to raw feeding and would like to get both cats on a raw diet. My new kitty, Onyx, loves raw meat. I have been giving some to her daily as a treat and plan to move her on to a complete diet. The old cat, Colonel refuses to eat raw.

I was reading one of the posts and the poster was concerned about thier cat having loose stools. From the responds, it appeared that cats need bone in thier diet and bones prevent loose stools. Being new to raw feeding and having a new kitty that likes raw, I was not prepared for raw feeding when we butchered last summer.

The Onyx doesn't get much bone in her diet. Only the times we have chicken on the menu. From raising cattle, I know the feed mill can put bonemeal in your feed formula. If I were to purchase a pound of the meal and sprinkle it on the raw meat chunks, would that be Ok?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Senior Cat

Bone is not a huge part of a raw fed cats diet - it is just 5-10% of their total food.

Chicken Drumstick is 33% bone
Chicken Breast is 20% bone
Chicken Thigh is 21% bone
Chicken Neck is 36% bone
Whole Fryer Chicken (dressed chicken from store) is 27% bone

So, if you were using bone-in chicken breast you would want 1/2 chicken breast 1/2 other meat

If using chicken drumsticks you would want 1 ounce drumstick to 2 ounce meat.

https://www.catforum.com/forum/62-raw...resources.html is a good place to start reading about differant methods of raw feeding and what/how much to feed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page