Has anyone tried to switch raw food but failed? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Has anyone tried to switch raw food but failed?

Has anyone tried to switch raw food but failed?
I have been try go to switch for months, but there seems to be many problems.
Everytime I introduced a raw meat, he would have diarrhea. Raw chicken seems to be ok, but it's still kinda shaky.

In the past 3 months, he has had diarrhea several times, and constipation, which led to anus injury.

Could it be that it is too late for adult cat to switch to raw diet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Maybe everyone here is successful with raw food diet. This thread was originally posted in health & Nutrition but moved to here...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

There are lots of "problem" stories here, scroll down and you'll see the different topics and issues.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Cool Cat

Have you tried any premades yet?

I don't mean to offend, but it seems like with a lot of your attempts you kind of jumped in without thoroughly researching the topic (like offering cooked bone, or giving rich organs right away) and that could be responsible for a lot of the issues you're having.

I strongly recommend experimenting with a premade raw (I've had great success with Primal) for now to see how that goes. If everything is fine with that, then you'll know something about how you were preparing the raw/what you were offering was what caused the issue. If he has issues even on premade raw, then you can narrow it down to something like a specific raw protein allergy or stomach sensitivity to food changes.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Jr. Cat

I already responded to Hobbe's in the thread about pork kidney, but I thought I'd through something in here too.

I have switched many cats to raw due to the fact that I serve as a foster home for a local shelter. Although different cats switch at different paces, from the posts about your issues that I've seen so far, the problem doesn't seem to be with your cat, since from what I can gather he eats the meat that you give just fine. It seems like the problem might be with the particular things that you are feeding and the ratios that you are offering them in.

saitenyo's advice to slow down and consider a pre-made raw food for now has several benefits, although I normally advocate homemade raw food. Provided that you choose a food that only contains species appropriate ingredients and is nutritionally complete, this would give you both a nice stepping stone towards fully home prepared raw food. While kitty adjusts to the new food, your family can be like "Oh, well, that's not really much different than canned food", and you can spend more time researching feline nutrition and running potential diet plans past people on this forum.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Senior Cat

I agree that a lot of people (and from your posts) jump in with little to no research and then it goes bad and they blame the food. Sorry, but any diet change should be done with a lot of reading and time/effort put into understanding first.

I think that if someone is incredibly uncomfortable and unwilling to change the way they view things, there is nothing wrong with staying with a canned food. It's better than switching improperly.

Kelly

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Premier Cat

I don't think it's too late, I agree with some of the other posters and think you need to do some more research on how to transition him over slowly and to make sure you have the ratios right in the meat/bone/secreting organ/non secreting organ..etc.... The problems and injuries mentioned could all be caused by improper feeding.

A while back Saitenyo mentioned a book called Natural Nutrition for cats by Kymythy Schultze. I picked it up for my NOOK last week and so far I'm quite liking it. It's working out the last of my worries and shoring up my will to switch him.

Perhaps you should slow down and do a bit more research on how to transition them slowly so you can do so with less side effects.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

hmm...I did do lots of research, I just haven't gone into the detail of feline digestive process and the chemical reactions in feline body.

In the beginning, I smashed raw meat with raw bone in it, and several hours after eating it, he wanted to puke. I thought maybe his stomach is not used to large piece of bone. I understood that cooked bone is dangerous cuz they might splint, that is why I pureed it. I just didn't know purred bone still can splint.(this is the part I still couldn't understand) I have done raw chicken for like 1 week, and decided to add a bit of raw organ, but I was afraid he might not be used to it, so I added tiny portion like a size of a coin.(I still can't understand how this small piece would cause diarrhea. Perhaps there is other reason)

I am not unwilling to change the way I view things, I was only looking for ways to give him balanced healthy diet by slowly adding raw food to his wet diet. I've read a few people said they would never give raw bone to their cats because of the risk of choking or broken teeth, that is why I was reluctant to give him entire wings or legs.

I have seen people adding just pieces of raw meat and organ to wet food, and was trying to do the same in the beginning.

I know I could get lots of judgements with all these failed attemped, but I still hope I could get some explanations from experienced folks here.

Last edited by Hobbes; 02-18-2011 at 09:25 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you for the suggestion, I think I will try premade raw food.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

MowMow

Thank you for the suggestion, I will get the book.
yes, I will start over again more slowly again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page