Raw Beef Troubles - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Raw Beef Troubles

So, Apollo vomited up his food this morning. This is the second time he's vomited after getting Primal Beef. He clearly doesn't like the beef flavor, and i have to mix it with some canned to even get him to eat it.

Now I'm wondering if it's because it makes him sick. I know that sometimes raw protein and cooked protein can affect cats differently, in terms of allergies. He's had beef canned food many times and been fine. However, he's also eaten the raw Primal beef before without issue (other than turning his nose up at it now and then). He's only vomited on it one other time, about a month ago.

I'm trying to figure out whether this is a beef allergy or something else.

I didn't put this batch into the fridge to defrost until sometime last night, so I was concerned it might not be fully defrosted. I know Athena vomits if her food is still frozen, and I blamed partially frozen food on the last time Apollo vomited when eating beef. But my boyfriend fed them before I woke up and insists he defrosted them thoroughly in warm water.

So is it possible for a cat with a raw beef allergy/intolerance to only sometimes vomit when eating that food, but not always?

At this point I've already decided not to buy the beef again, since it's clear the cats don't love it (even Athena is not a huge fan), regardless. I'm just trying to figure out if I should refrain from giving Apollo any more of the current bag and just use it up on Athena, or dump it entirely, or what.

I still have quite a few left, and while Athena doesn't seem to love it, she does eat it if I don't offer her anything else and doesn't seem to get sick from it...I just feel like this whole beef thing is really not working for them and I'm wondering if just dealing with the monetary loss and tossing the rest would be best.

Of course this once again leaves me with only two flavors of Primal to feed them. I really need to find some more raw variety soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Jr. Cat

I feel weird giving advice to someone with so much seniority since I'm new, but here goes (obviously I'm new HERE, but I'm not new to raw feeding)!

I've heard over and over again about cats that have an apparent intolerance for beef that does not appear to actually be an allergy. Of these cats, some are able to handle it in small quantities, and some can't stomach even the smallest amount (the more extreme cases start to sound more like protein allergies).

I've frequently heard this attributed to the "richness" (I don't like using terms that are so ambiguous, but oh well) of the meat. Since Apollo has only vomited twice, and you didn't mention him suffering any other ill-effects, I would be inclined to believe that he simply doesn't handle beef well.

Personally, since you mentioned you have other pre-made flavors that he does like, I would try and do half beef flavor mixed with half of another flavor. I think your financial situation will ultimately have to dictate whether or not you actually throw it all out, dilute it with tastier, more tolerable, food, or just give it to Athena.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

No I certainly appreciate advice from anyone with experience, whether they're new to the forum or not. I'm still fairly new to raw feeding. Only been doing it for a couple of months.

Thank you for your advice. That's an interesting point about it being more tolerable if something else is heavily mixed in. I may have to experiment and see how it goes.

I'm not going to go broke if I throw this bag out, it's just not ideal since I hate wasting money. But this morning Athena barely nibbled at it and Apollo, obviously threw it up, so it just does not seem to sit well with either. I may have to bite the bullet and just toss it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Senior Cat

I just recently started to hear that cats don't handle beef well.. on here, actually, was the first place/time I heard it!

Someone forgot to tell me cats they shouldn't handle beef well.

We've had 6 rawfed kitties, only ONE had a slight issue with beefheart (we fed it too cold, or he ate it too fast and barfed it up). One can't handle beef liver at all (he's 16 though), the same 16 year old doesn't tolerate beef tripe well. Or so I thought!! Today, we gave beef tripe (yes, even tho I was sure he had an issue with it, we still feed it at meal times ) as per usual, he vomited it up on the carpet after eating. Few minutes later, as I finish eat my breakfast - he comes back and eats it again. Doesn't vomit it back up either. He can handle beef liver if it's TINY, not whole meals like I used to feed it to him.

My theory is this.. they're puking it up because it's AWESOME and they eat too fast. Atleast for my guys.

Our diet is about 70-80% beef heart most times (cheapest meat here and I get a lot). I've never really had issues! If it were me, I would continue to feed it. Even if he barfs. *shrugs* Maybe mix it with his canned, less beef per meal or what-have-you. I just feel we, as rawfed cat owners, tend to jump on the "OMG PUKE!" bandwagon, and just stop feeding a protein in haste.

Just MHO.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Sadly mine definitely don't think it's awesome. If I put down the beef by itself they just turn their noses up right away. If I disguise it in other food, they nibble at it cautiously, and mostly pick out the other food and leave the beef.

If they loved it, then I'd be less concerned about the occasional puke, but the fact that I basically have to bribe and trick them into even eating it to begin with suggests to me it's simply not meant to be for my cats.

Thankfully they love raw turkey and raw chicken. I just need to get some other type of meat for picky Apollo so he can get his acceptable amount of flavor rotation every day.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Senior Cat

Mikey initially couldn't keep beef down. I quit feeding him beef for a month, after he had fully gotten used to raw feeding, and he hasn't had a problem with throwing it back up since. Well, I shouldn't say no problem, he still throws up occasionally, but he does that if he gets to nervous soon after eating.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Jr. Cat

Dalsoo doesnt do well with beef either. You may call the store and ask about refund. I once got full refund for half eaten primal. I just said my cat is showing allergic sign which was true.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:14 AM
Jr. Cat

I didn't think of this yesterday, but the snubbing (not the vomiting) might just be due to the fact that the beef is new and different. One of the purported benefits of introducing kittens to raw is that they'll eat virtually anything with no convincing, and giving them a wide variety of protein sources will prevent them from imprinting of a single food.

I think this is a particularly good possibility since you mentioned that both of their current two favorites are poultry.

If this is indeed contributing, mixing the foods would likely help here as well, as you could reduce the amount of poultry that was being mixed in as they became more comfortable with the beef. I would tend to think that a gentle desensitization period like this would also help Apollo get over his occasional vomiting.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

My cats are actually still under a year (so technically kittens) and took to every other flavor of raw readily. Just not the beef. And they were all introduced around the same time. I've also fed them a wide variety of flavors from the beginning. They used to get rotating canned foods, including a beef flavor. They seem to enjoy the canned beef, just not the raw beef.

So I don't think it's really an issue of it being "new."
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Jr. Cat

Well, boo. >_<; At the end of the day, I guess that sometimes we'll never know what motivates our feline friends to be so finicky. I didn't realize your cats were still so young! They're gorgeous in your signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page