Simple "Brain Fart" Question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Question Simple "Brain Fart" Question

After spending so much time researching raw for my cats, going over weights & percentages, type of meats, transitioning, finding sources for the different types of meats I need (after a lot of searching, I believe I've found a regular supply of Beef, Pork, & Veal Kidney, as well as occasional Lamb Spleen!), I've had a moment of doubt that I haven't been able to think through or find a clear answer to.

I felt so in control (as much as possible with cats, that it) and so prepared...
I'm just a couple days away from making my first big buy of all the different meats, and of course now I came across a thread here that included a couple posts on Raw Meaty Bones... stating that meaty bones should be 15-20% of diet, assuming that they're ~50% bones and 50% meat.
https://www.catforum.com/forum/62-raw...an-please.html
That said, since I intend to feed meaty bones (as of now Chicken Wings, Chicken Necks, Duck Wings & Feet are the 3 types of meaty bones I intend to feed regularly... rotating in others occasionally), should they be 15-20% of the boys diet instead of strictly taking the 80-10-5-5 to mean 10% regardless of % bone vs. meat???

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited by Huzzah; 02-19-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Clarity, added link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Jr. Cat

The 10% bone in 80/10/5/5 refers to meatless bone.

So, 20% RMB and 70% Muscle isn't any different percentage wise than 10% Bone 80% Muscle, since the 20% RMB suggestion assumes 50/50 content of muscle and bone (thus 10% meat and 10% bone).

I checked out the thread you were reading in, and it looks like the concern was over the person's diet containing too little bone (only 5% overall, since the 10% RMB is only half bone).

Bone does not need to be fed in the form of RMB, although the process of stripping the flesh and devouring the whole bone can be fun and a good jaw workout for kitty. If you plan on meeting your cats' bone requirement through RMB alone, bear in mind that not all parts have the same bone content while you're still getting a feel for what to feed and how often:

Backs: 44%
Wings: 46%
Neck: 36%
Thighs: 21%
Breast: 20%

You might also want to consider backs for bone content. Also, the ribs in particular from a split chicken breast make great starter bones.

I hope I understood your concern correctly, and I hope this helps!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Jr. Cat

I just checked out your "Over-analyzed" thread. I'm glad to see that you've already put so much thought into everything. ^_^ You had probably already heard everything I wrote! A particularly good resource for people that like to over-analyze things is the USDA nutritional database:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Just in case you hadn't found it yet, I thought you would enjoy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I certainly plan on feeding them RMB instead of just bones, assuming they comply of course... that said, I remember seeing posts about % bone in different cuts now! I'm hoping to feed Wings, Backs, and Ribs to get the boys their bones... avoiding necks as I've read they contain considerably lower calcium than the other options.

Of course, I saw the USDA Database many times and even played around in it a little bit, but never put it together that it can & should be used to determine weights of different cuts to get the appropriate amount of meat & bone.

Thanks so much AshleyHoneyBee. I believe I've got a pretty solid plan now, all of the different amount broken down for each of the boys, and as soon as I can head to the mega-butchers I should be all set. (I didn't realize until a couple days ago that I live in the same city as UW Provisions, one of the largest wholesale suppliers of meat etc. to grocery stores, meat-processors, and restaurants in the midwest!)

It's Brody's 1 year birthday in a few days (Feb. 24th)... I'm excited to give him the gift of a pretty comprehensive raw diet, among other goodies of course!

Last edited by Huzzah; 02-21-2011 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Details
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page