Blood/Poultry Feet Ok to Serve? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Blood/Poultry Feet Ok to Serve?

The Asian market I found, is going to have me covered for organ, heart, and a huge variety of meats for the girls. Yay! They also had some items that seemed more interesting, and I wanted to ask if they were ok or not for inclusion of a raw diet.

Are bird feet ok to serve? They had chicken and duck, talons removed. Would that be something good for their teeth to gnaw on something like that?

They had blood there, like in a jellied cube. Rochelle absolutely loves extra gravy or juice in her bowl, so I was thinking this might be an interesting thing to add...I already give them the extra juice from liver and things. Is blood ok to serve? If so, how much and...exactly how do I liquify it from the jellied state (microwave, hot water?)? Does the addition of blood do anything to screw up the 80/10/5/5 balance?

If you feed other "interesting" foods, please post! I'd love to know how much variety I can get into my girls diet, and with this new market I have a lot of stuff to choose from!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Jr. Cat

I dont know if you can feed blood. ^^ one thing I know is that it will be hard to liquidify the gelatin blood. Protein in the blood made it like jelly. If you warm it up, it will be hardened further.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Senior Cat

I have fed chicken feet before but mine either love them or hate them.

The coagulated blood that I have seen has a ton of salt added to it, so make sure you check the label at first, if you get it. IMO it would be okay to feed in small amounts but just remember that cat's aren't vampires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Jr. Cat

Poultry feet are fine, and I've heard that many people feed them as part of the 10% bone content of the diet. I'm not exactly sure what percentage bone a foot would be, but I imagine it's fairly high. I've always heard that blood is nutritive, and mine all love to lap up the blood that vacuum sealed organs are packed in. As furryfriends said, just watch out for additives, and it should be fine in moderation. I can't speak about it affecting ratios yet, but I might do some research and post back.

Another interesting thing that some people feed is tripe. Your market probably has it, but look for green tripe only, as the white stuff has been bleached to the point of being fairly nutritionally worthless.
Generally, green tripe is more popular with dogs, as I understand that it has a fairly strong odor. However, many people have been surprised to report that their cats love it as well!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Kitten

One of my cat eats green tripe. I'm not sure she "loves" it but she doesn't hesitate to eat it. It is very malodorous and I probably won't get it again. There is something disturbing about having a strong fecal smell in the kitchen. I've fed ground chicken feet. Both cats will eat it mixed in with other food but it isn't their favorite. The cat that eats tripe also loves blood - but I've never fed gelatinous blood just residual blood in packages.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepster View Post
There is something disturbing about having a strong fecal smell in the kitchen.
I didn't know that THAT was what it smelled like. I guess that also explains why I've only seen the white stuff even in the ethnic market. -_-;
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks for the responses guys!

The blood would only be used to give Rochelle a little extra gravy...I thought it might make the transition to bone a bit easier since it's a drier meal, and she loves something she can lick up. Don't worry, I don't want vampire kitties (scary!)! I just wasn't sure of any nutrient content it might have, or how to get it out of that jellied state so she could have something to lick up. I will definitely check the packaging next time I go, to check for additives...if it doesn't work out, then the little bit of blood and juice in the bags from their foods defrosting is good enough.

Good to know about the poultry feet. I know I can get chicken, duck, and turkey, so that might be a good way to get some bone variety in. I'll pick up a package and try it out next time.

Tripe is also sold there, both green and white. But...I dunno...I have not found myself squeamish once during this raw feeding thing (even cutting kidney the first time and realizing there is...filling...), until I looked at the tripe. My stomach sorta turned, and I'm really not sure what specifically did it (but the discovery that it smells like feces isn't helping!), so I'm thinking that tripe is one place I won't be going. XD
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Cat Addict

If I were you, I would buy just one pack of the feet and see if your cat (s) like them. I tried duck feet several times for my 3 and they hate them. They are all bone and don't have much meat on them at all. I tried feeding them with other meatier cuts and they wouldn't touch them so I just gave up on the feet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page