We're on our way! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

We're on our way!

Over a week ago I gave MowMow some cubed raw chicken. HE of course though he was in heaven. No itching, no vomiting and no chin acne... so far so good.

Tonight I was roasting a chicken for dinner and MowMow got the wing tips. I cut them in half to make it a little more manageable but I didn't smash them. I wanted to see how he'd handle it.

I don't think switching to raw is going to be an issue.... he dragged them under the table one at a time and chomped them down. The first two pieces took him some time to work out but once he figured out how to crunch the bone he was in heaven.

It's been 2 hours and no signs of tummy upset. Just a cat who thinks he had a lovely snack and now wants his mushy canned cat food .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Jr. Cat

Wow, you're off to a great start, congratulations! It's always easier to switch when a cat already recognizes meat as food.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Premier Cat

Krissy, this is awesome! Congrats! I just bought some chicken thighs today, and we are giving it a go also, so I'll let you know how it works for us!

Congrats again............isn't it a great feeling to know you now have this option!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Cat Addict

That's great news! As someone who's just recently switched, I wish you and Mow all the best if you decide to pursue raw.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Yarp, we had a bit of constipation the next day. He was kind of lethargic and grouchy about being cuddled too tight but the next morning there was an earth moving BM and he was racing around like a MADMAN all excited and happy again.

Once my SO heads home next week I'l start MOwMOw on it a bit more hardcore. The Roth's I was at last week had Cornish hens on sale. A two pack for only 3.99 (Silverton Roths). I am now kicking myself for not buying 3 or 4 packs and freezing them.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
Yarp, we had a bit of constipation the next day.
Hi,

I don't think that's constipation. When switching to raw, cats poop less, as the food will be digested and utilized better. They have less stool with much less odor.

So, actually that's probably the start of better digestion for your cat. Raw fed cats can go 2 or 3 days without poopiing. Don't let this alarm you. If they're hungry and active, they'll be just fine, actually better. My 2 cats have been all raw fed for several months.

Raw egg and raw liver will give them looser stools so I wouldn't give them too much of it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats Rule View Post
Hi,

I don't think that's constipation. When switching to raw, cats poop less, as the food will be digested and utilized better. They have less stool with much less odor.
This is true... but being grouchy and not liking cuddles (presumably abnormal behavior) were the primary signals here, not just the lack of poop.

:speculation: Perhaps it was due to the previous meal, that I'm assuming wasn't raw, not moving as rapidly through the gut...?

As long as it doesn't repeat itself regularly, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Cat

When changing to raw you will see less cat poop.

BTW, - I'm in the same city as you are.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyHoneyBee View Post
This is true... but being grouchy and not liking cuddles (presumably abnormal behavior) were the primary signals here, not just the lack of poop.
Very much so. When MowMow doesn't want snuzzles something is wrong. Normally if he's not feeling great he's all over me trying to sleep on top of me. That day he just didn't want to be bothered at all. I turned the heater unit on in front of his favorite snooze spot and just left him alone for the day.

The BM the next morning truly was earth shattering from the sound of his meow and how fast he came tearing out of the box.

ANyway, today @ Fred Meyer I picked up a digital scale, glass salad plates (with high sides), Gizzards, hearts, cornish hens, beef livers, beef meat, and a pork kidney. TOmorrow I'll sit down and start weight/measuring and packing in freezer bags (I also got a container for the freezer to store the aforementioned bags in) for meals. I'll start with one meal a day and move him up to all 3 as I use up my supply of canned cat food (saving a few for emergencies).
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Cat

I could never resort to weighing cat food ratios. That's too much confusion and bother for me, and I have a hard time believing it'd be make much difference if I did. The way I see it is, this diet is so far superior to kibble and most canned foods that cats going to be much healthier with this, and little ratio differences aren't going to matter much.

Cubby will not eat raw liver of any type. He gets some kidney that comes on a Cornish Hen back, that's it for organs. I may give him some Vitamin A from fish oil once in a while.

Luke will eat chicken liver or most anything.

Last edited by Cats Rule; 02-25-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page