Won't eat commercial raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Won't eat commercial raw

We've tried Aunt Jenni's, Primal, and Rad-Cat. Tiikiri looked at me like "YOU eat it!" I then bought some dehydrated raw called Ziwipeak, and he snubbed it equally.
He will however eat whole, raw meat. He took one of the dog's turkey necks, and also will steal their raw meaty bones.
So far I have been feeding about 75% canned, 25% raw hoping that he will come around to eating commercial raw so he gets all of his vitamins.
I also tried mixing some Primal in with the canned food, just a little bit, and he picked at it but then looked at me like he was sickened by my little trick.
I've never had a cat that seemed to prefer canned over everything. My past cats would eat anything and everything. Anyone else have a picky-puss?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Cat Addict

Lol, join the club.

None of my 4 will eat any sort of ground food for more than one consecutive meal. They snub premade raw, ground beef, ground turkey, ground pork, ect. They'll eat the first meal of it, but after that they'll hardly touch it for the next meal.

However mine have no issues chowing down on a wide variety of whole meats. They chomp them down like champs. lol, kinda cute really. It's better for their teeth to eat RMBs anyways, so I'm not too worried about it.

The only issues is picky miss Torri has decided the only organs she likes are bunny organs. Which are, obviously, not widely avaliable. So they get to eat whole ground chicken/pork once or twice a week so she can get her organs. *sigh* Picky princesses....
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Cool Cat

Athena took to premade raw readily, but with Apollo, I had to gradually mix it into his canned food and slowly increase the portions of raw vs. canned. I also have to rotate flavors every meal or he'll refuse to eat it. And neither of my cats like raw beef (Apollo vomits it up).

Of course they both love unground (except Apollo can't figure out how to chew it properly) so I wish I could just feed them that. Still working out the logisitics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 03:54 PM
Jr. Cat

For most people, the goal is to move AWAY from mush towards chunks of meat or whole foods. It really threw me that you're trying to go the other direction! Honestly, there should be no nutrient gaps in a diet that is either highly varied or well thought-out to compensate. A lot of premade raw foods (not all) also contain some of the very things that we are trying to avoid by switching our felines to a meat-only diet (fillers, weird additives, vegetables, etc.).

Perhaps you could share more about why you feel you should move to a premade diet?
Or, tell us what you're currently feeding, and we would be happy to let you know how it sounds like you're doing in the nutrition department.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyHoneyBee View Post
Perhaps you could share more about why you feel you should move to a premade diet?
Or, tell us what you're currently feeding, and we would be happy to let you know how it sounds like you're doing in the nutrition department.
Simply put, premade is easier. I don't want to have to plan meals for my cat. I did it for over a year for my 4 dogs (basically billinghurst diet) and it was time consuming and expensive.
I feed grain free Wellness canned kitten food and have begun giving Tiikiri bits of meat in between, since he expressed such an interest in the dog's RMB's.
He's up to about 9 oz canned, and 2-3 oz meat (like round steak tips, and bits of cut up turkey neck). He's 5 months old and starting into a BIG growth spurt. Using lots of energy. Sure I will have to cut him back.
I feed the doggies the same way, except they get Orijin kibble, Ziwipeak, Chicken/Turkey parts, and beef RMB's.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Jr. Cat

My cat lost some weight because she does not like the ground raw. She is not good at chunks. I now add ziwipeak treat pieces on top of her meal and we are now in temporary peace. I don't know when piper will turn up her nose to the food again.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Jr. Cat

Granted, I haven't had as much experience in this department as others, but it has always seemed to me that homemade raw was a MUCH less expensive choice (I did some price comparisons when I was starting out, and pre-made wasn't even financially feasible).

I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm honestly having a really hard time with your argument that feeding all raw is too much work. I won't deny that all cats are different, and I'm sure that some have lived to be 20 with perfect teeth having eaten nothing but canned and kibble, but such cases stand out as exceptions rather than the norm. I constantly hear of people coming to raw food after their cat has had X number of teeth extracted, and their vet is recommending annual teeth cleanings to prevent further removals. Changing to a diet that has the added benefit of acting as a toothbrush has resulted in dramatic reversals of overall dental health for many cats.

I hope that you will at least continue to offer chunks of meat mixed with the premade ground if you are determined and able to switch from chunks.

Alright, now that I've said that...:

Since your picky cat does not want the premade mixed with wet food, using the Rad Cat premade (because the Rad Cat does not contain vegetable or other fillers, it is going to be the most similar in flavor to the meat that Tiikiri already enjoys), I would try smearing a small quantity on chunks of meat that Tiikiri likes best, and slowly increase the quantity of the ground food that you give with every meal.

If Tiikiri refuses it even this way, I would try offering a small quantity of ground hamburger or chicken, to see if the issue is the fact that the premade foods are ground (i.e. a texture issue) or, if Tiikiri is happy to chow on plain hamburger, if he can be switched by mixing the plain ground meat with the premade.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Feeding all raw, not pre-made to 4 large (50+ pound) dogs was expensive and time consuming.
Feeding pre-made raw to a cat that won't get any bigger than 7-8 pounds is not cost prohibitive, and I don't have to plan it out.
I am very busy and don't even plan meals for myself and my spouse.
If he takes to rad cat, great. If not he will get some chunks of meat and the rest canned.
I'll make certain his teeth don't fall out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page