Egg question. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Egg question.

I can get really nice fresh eggs from the Amish neighbor, and I want to try adding in an egg or two to my mix since I'm trying chicken now. I've read that some "lightly cook" the white because the white contains avidin, that blocks absorption of the B vitamins. My question is, what does "lightly cook" mean........what's your procedure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Jr. Cat

I would not cook an egg because of the whole "the whites contain avidine which binds biotin" story. There is so much biotin in the yolk that as long as you feed the whole egg your cats will be fine. If you whisk the egg the cats will be guaranteed to get a bit of both.
Of course you can cook the egg a bit but then you will lose some other nutrients too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Cat Addict

I agree. I would just serve it raw. Sometimes my older sister would wisk the egg when she gives her cats egg, but I wouldn't cook it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Cat Addict

I serve quail eggs raw. My cats love to lick them right up and sometimes even nibble at the shells.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

I saw the title of this thread and I thought one of your bunnies had laid a Cadbury egg!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Kitten

I give all four of mine an organic pastured raw chicken egg each once in awhile, or on top of chunks of meat. Whisking hard or cooking can destroy valuable nutrients. I also throw in a few shells, which two of them will crunch on for a bit. The dog gets the leftover shells, he loves them!

When I first gave raw eggs I had to break the yolks and stir a little, adding a pinch of flaxseed on top but now they gobble it up just fine without me needing to do anything other than crack it in a bowl.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Cat Addict

I also feed my girls their eggs raw. They get a quail egg broken over their meat twice a week, and they just love to lick them up.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Well, eggs didn't go over to well. For some reason, the eggs make them itch. They shared a yolk yesterday morning, and by today they were itching again. It's ok, I'm content with being able to only feed the chicken meat, but I don't quite get why the eggs would make them itch, and not the meat itself. Especially since they are Amish pasture fed/raised chickens that the eggs came from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page