We're fully transitioned and have a few questions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

We're fully transitioned and have a few questions

Hi all, I'll be grateful for your comments, thank you in advance...

1. I notice that Prince loves any food (dry or raw) as long as it's FRESH. He wouldn't eat his kibble before if it had been outside the bag for half a day. Now he won't eat his raw meat diet if it's been in the fridge for over 1 day.

2. He likes MUCH LESS meat that's been frozen and defrozen than meat that was never frozen. Since I buy in bulk and prepare small daily bags and freeze them, this is a bit of a problem...

3. I find it a bit laborious and time-consuming to separate raw meat from bones. Does anyone have any tips on how to make it easier?

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I'm surprised I got no replies so far...

I'd like to change questions 1 and 2 (he's doing fine now) to: what size of bone should we give them that is not too small to be dangerous (might get stuck in their throat) and not too big? Should we vary the bone source or can it always be chicken?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Cool Cat

In case you still have concerns about 1, do you warm the food up at all? You don't want to cook it in the microwave or anything obviously, but some cats don't like their food cold (mine don't) so you can warm it up by placing it in a baggy sitting in warm water for a few minutes, to remove the chill.

As far as bone size, my understanding is small chicken bones (like wing tips or ribs), cornish game hen bones, and quail bones are all fine. Larger chicken bones (like necks) may be okay if you smash them up into smaller pieces.

Avoid any large weight-bearing bones. No bones from large mammals like sheep or cow or anything. Some larger bird bones (like turkey bones) may be too big as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thank you, Saltenyo! I'll start giving him fixed time meals, so I can take it out of the fridge before and warm it up.

One more question: I am leaving kibble for him on days I'm away from the house for 11 hours (it's too warm here to leave meat out)... How do others deal with this?

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Jr. Cat

Hi Straysmomy, I also leave kibble for Modra if I'm away for long and anyway I've noticed if I don't give her any kibble she goes to Sheila and eats her food. Since I don't want to get my neighbour crazy with this, I give her some kibble everyday in between meals, like treats. She still eats raw food after that, actually when I didn't give her raw, she caught a bird and fed herself (am not too comfy knowing she decimates the birds, so I make sure she has a consistent portion of raw food every day. So I believe some kibble one day will not revert Prince to a kibble diet cat. Raw is simply too tasty and nutritional for them
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Senior Cat

Modra, it is actually not a good idea to feed a cat kibble then raw within a short period of time.

Kibble takes a very long time for a cat to digest (compared to the time it takes for raw to digest) and you do NOT want the raw to get stuck behind dry in the digestive tract. The reason cats are able to eat raw safely/without bacteria problems is because they have such a short digestive tract.

To be safe, you want to wait 12 hours after feeding kibble to feed raw.
How about setting some canned out for during the day? Or getting a timed/automatic feeder that has an icepack in it and put the wet food in that?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Cool Cat

I had the same problem with figuring out what to feed the cats when I'm going to be gone overnight and miss a meal. I absolutely cannot give Athena kibble, since she reacts poorly to it.

One thing you can try instead is freeze-dried/dehydrated raw. It's less processed than kibble, but won't spoil if left out for a while like regular raw. It's not the best thing to use as a full diet (obviously it still suffers from the moisture issue of kibble, and fresh meat likely retains more nutrients than dried meat), but it works really well in a pinch if you need to leave something out.

Some brands that I know make it are Stella & Chewy's (I've been using this, but am probably going to switch to something else because it's overly expensive) and Ziwi Peak. I'm sure there are more too, these are just the two I know off the top of my head.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitenyo View Post
As far as bone size, my understanding is small chicken bones (like wing tips or ribs), cornish game hen bones, and quail bones are all fine. Larger chicken bones (like necks) may be okay if you smash them up into smaller pieces.

Avoid any large weight-bearing bones. No bones from large mammals like sheep or cow or anything. Some larger bird bones (like turkey bones) may be too big as well.
What can happen to a cat that has eaten a whole chicken leg with bone?

My 8 month old kittens had never been able to eat these bones before, so I just tossed them in garbage after they were done with the meat, but this time I left them out longer and now I can't find the bones! And my place has been proofed for kitty football, so they don't lose their toys, that means the bones can't be under furniture. I am thinking they must have eaten them!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by def kitty View Post
What can happen to a cat that has eaten a whole chicken leg with bone?

My 8 month old kittens had never been able to eat these bones before, so I just tossed them in garbage after they were done with the meat, but this time I left them out longer and now I can't find the bones! And my place has been proofed for kitty football, so they don't lose their toys, that means the bones can't be under furniture. I am thinking they must have eaten them!
I don't think it would hurt your kitty, I just know that some simply can't or won't eat bones that large. But I have heard of some that can. If the bones seem to have disappeared, it seems your kitty was not deterred by it!

I'm not very experienced in feeding bones though, if another raw feeder wants to chime in about any possible concerns with feeding chicken leg bones.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 04:34 AM
Jr. Cat

I didn't know this another aspect about kibble! I know it's a junk food for cats and can give them many problems, including diabetes, but I had no idea it stucks their intestins as well. I would not feed her kibble at all, furryfriends251, but if I don't she just goes to the neighbours and eats her fill of kibble there, pushing away their cats. I have no control over this since she is outdoors most of the time and keeping her indoors would destroy her morale and probably have worse effects on her. Almost everybody here feed cats kibble, since it's more convenient to leave the food there and go to work or whatever. Very bad, indeed.

Agreed, Saitenyo, dried meat is ideal, I even forgot about this, I couldn't find such thing here. Perhaps if I go to a larger pet shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page