Getting my kitty do eat what cats should - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Getting my kitty do eat what cats should

Hello everybody, I am the proud owner of Modra, a former stray. She used to live off hunting and stealing food from the neighbour's cat, but while at the SPCA she took on the bad habit of eating kibble. Very hard to re-educate her otherwise. After bringing her home she puked a couple of times on wet food, so I tried to change her diet to raw, while keeping a bit of wet and kibble as treats. The change went on great, but soon after she started to eat only livers and hearts ignoring chicken breast, beef and rabbit mince and turkey treats all together. Then she got fed up with the hearts and livers too and puked again. So I put her on kibble and very posh wet food for a while. One day she caught a sparrow and ate it promptly, which lead me to believe she would fancy some raw again (in NZ people have a sort of obsession with birds and if your cat is hunting birds and they notice, you and your cat might have big problems with the bird lovers - weird, I know, as if the cat is not supposed to do what cats do). So I started to mix a bit of raw into the wet food and gradually she started to accept more and more of it, healthy stuff, not only livers and hearts. Finally she switched on raw entirely and doesn't touch the wet food anymore (hurray!) I found a very good brand (we tested a few, but this one seems to be the one she likes) it is perhaps a local brand, it's called First Choice, basically a it's a freshly prepared veal chunky mince (the beef alternative is not to her liking, yeah, she's very picky. Now she eats and she put on weight, without being fat. Her fur is silky and soft, she has so much energy and she looks very happy. However I see she is still craving for kibble so if I don't feed her some kibble she goes to the neighbour's cat and eats from her plate, which is not exactly what I want her to do. So I feed her some kibble in between meals, like "treats". Question is: am I doing the right thing? Anyway if I don't give her the treats she will source them from neighbour cats risking some useless conflicts. Your thoughs would be appreciated. PS: she is an outdoor cat and I internd to keep her this way, it suits her very well and the area where we live is very cat friendly (other than the bird lovers).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Cat Addict

How do bird lovers solve the problem of supermarkets selling chicken and of all food for cats being based on poultry? Or they believe chicken are not birds?

Since I have the same problem you mention on this thread with Prince, I wanted to ask you for an update?

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page