Help! We're reverting back to kibble! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Help! We're reverting back to kibble!

Prince was on an all-raw balanced diet and he was eating with gusto. He hadn't touched almost any kibble in about a month. A week ago I spent almost a whole (exhausting!) day just cutting meats and organs and small bones and made freezer bags for almost 3 months.

Now suddenly he'll prefer to go hungry all day than eat his raw meat! And he begs for the kibble. In the end I give up and give him some kibble.

I feel so disappointed and sad today... He had a lot more energy, seemed a lot more alive, and I think he also grew in length (didn't put on weight).

Have any of you gone through this?

The only thing I can think of is he sees the strays eating kibble all the time, because he accompanies me to feed the strays every day.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 01:21 AM
Cat

Maybe got tired of all raw?I've never fed raw myself but tried feeding all wet and Boo did the same thing so I just fed him wet/dry combo.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 02:03 AM
Cool Cat

Smelling the kibble when you feed the strays could be a factor.

Also, does he get the same kind of meat each meal? I've found Apollo stops eating his food unless I rotate flavors. He gets a variety of chicken, turkey, and rabbit. If he really goes off his raw, then I find sometimes mixing a little canned food into it helps encourage him to start eating it again, so I keep a stack of canned on hand just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 02:03 AM
Premier Cat

I'm sure the kibble tastes pretty good to him. It's full of fat/fillers/and taste enhancers to make it more palatable.

Here is how I look at it. I have an 11 year old nephew. Given a choice he would *LIVE* on frozen pizza, sugary cereals and soda. Why wouldn't he? To him they taste a heck of a lot better than brussel sprouts and broccoli but it's up to my sister in law/brother to make sure he eats a balanced meal and gets the proper nutrients to grow.

MowMow would *LOVE* to eat lots of kibble every day but he just can't. It's bad for him and he can't live on it.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 02:07 AM
Cool Cat

And yeah, as MowMow said, both my cats go crazy for kibble. In the early stages of transitioning to canned, and then raw, we had a couple false-starts where I had to go back to kibble for a meal because they refused anything else. They make that stuff taste delicious with flavor sprays and stuff (because otherwise cats probably wouldn't recognize it as food since it's so removed from their natural diet).

Try not to let yourself get too discouraged. Just try to keep the scent of it away from him, because it'll probably entice him to want it again. Just keep finding ways to make his raw food exciting, and if you have to, mix in some canned. That's probably a way better option than reverting to kibble, if he likes canned.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator

I would definitely stop taking him with you to feed the strays.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

saltenyo, I put the full variety - turkey, chicken, heart, etc. - a bit of each in each meal. Should I put all of the same variety in one meal?

Mowmow, maybe the issue is variety, because my strays go nuts for any meat I give them...?

Just now we had a battle of wits: he told me he was hungry and stood firmly by the kibble bags, having refused his meat. I stood firmly by his meat plate. We didn't say a word. In the end he came and ate a little bit of the meat.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I forgot to say that indeed, till now I most always had the raw meat folded into a bit of some canned food, so maybe that's the issue. I'll add a bit of canned this evening if he again won't eat.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Jr. Cat

Maybe because he can smell the dry food somewhere in the house, he thinks he has a choice between kibble and raw. You could keep the kibble in the fridge or outside of the house.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Unfortunately, I live in a tiny apt and the bags of 18 kilos are everywhere... This evening he ate a little more, with canned added... He loved the canned, of course. He's like his mommy - the doctor told me today that I MUST start eating healthy and drop the junk food, which is all I eat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page