Raw food discussion - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Raw food discussion

I don't want to hijack this thread, but Saitenyo, I just looked up Primal and Nature's Variety, and our pet store (small 3 store chain), carries both...I haven't really looked into raw presented in that format before...but Primal looks intriguing, with the venison and rabbit, which I've never seen in a canned food...can you tell me more about those? Are they in some kind of nugget form? I'm 99% certain Spencer wouldn't eat it (that boy's pickiness drives me crazy), but I think Lily would love it...I don't want to go totally raw, but I'd love to try and incorporate some into their diets..

Spencer and Katie
and Lily, always in our hearts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdaisies View Post
I don't want to hijack this thread, but Saitenyo, I just looked up Primal and Nature's Variety, and our pet store (small 3 store chain), carries both...I haven't really looked into raw presented in that format before...but Primal looks intriguing, with the venison and rabbit, which I've never seen in a canned food...can you tell me more about those? Are they in some kind of nugget form? I'm 99% certain Spencer wouldn't eat it (that boy's pickiness drives me crazy), but I think Lily would love it...I don't want to go totally raw, but I'd love to try and incorporate some into their diets..
Yeah, they come in frozen nuggets (Primal nuggets are little rectangles, NV are little rounds).

Athena seemed to like them right away (and will readily eat any kind I put down for her) but Apollo had to be coaxed into them by mixing a little canned into the nuggets. I still have to do this on occasion with certain flavors that he's picky about.

It's probably not as ideal as homemade raw, as they do contain some vegetables, but I still feel way better about it than any other commercial food because of the improvements I've seen in my cats' and Athena's bowel issues on it. And it certainly solves the convenience issue of raw. Basically I just portion out meals (usually 3 days worth of meals at a time since they can sit safely in the fridge for that long) into little plastic baggies and let them defrost in the fridge (takes anywhere from 12-24 hours) then I place the baggy in a bowl of warm water to take out some of the chill right before feeding (since my cats won't eat it cold).

I personally like Primal more than NV because of their lower carb content, because my cats seem to like it more, and because they make separate cat and dog formulas which suggests to me they're paying more careful attention to individual species needs.

However the only place I can get Primal sadly only carries a very limited selection so I've had to turn to NV to supplement additional meats (just rabbit currently). My cats get NV Rabbit, along with Primal Turkey and Chicken (Apollo can't eat raw beef, so that's out, venison is insanely expensive, and so far I haven't been able to find quail, which is a shame because I'd love to include that in their diet...I'm just feeding them Merrick Quail for now).

All-in-all, I've been very happy with their raw diet. It's solved Athena's stool/gas issues completely, and both cats' coats are much softer on it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitenyo View Post
Basically I just portion out meals (usually 3 days worth of meals at a time since they can sit safely in the fridge for that long) into little plastic baggies and let them defrost in the fridge (takes anywhere from 12-24 hours) then I place the baggy in a bowl of warm water to take out some of the chill right before feeding (since my cats won't eat it cold).
My turn to hijack, sorry.'

This is basically what I started doing as well. I cut up all his meat, measure his portion sizes and then wrap them in small pieces of Saran wrap. Then I put all those little bundles of meat into ziplock freezer bags with what they are written on it. So I have 4 baggies with muscle meat, wings, kidneys, and liver written on them. I can just pull out the bundles every evening for the next day and put them in a bowl in the fridge to thaw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Cool Cat

Oo nice, a mod pulled this out into its own thread for us. Thanks whomever did that.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

You're welcome, figured this conversation was going to continue for a while.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks Marie!

Saitenyo, thanks for the info! I haven't wanted to do raw for a variety of reasons...but buying this format in the frozen nuggets seems like something that would be a lot more plausible for us. I've seen the freezers at my pet store out of the corner of my eye, but never looked closely, so I'm not sure what varieties they carry. I'll try to check it out this week. Do you mind telling me how much a bag of those nuggets costs? (I'm assuming different meats are different prices.)

My cats don't like beef, so I probably won't even try that. They seem to like chicken the most, followed by turkey. However, they really like BG Quail, so I'm really curious to try out these more "exotic" types of meat, if I can find them!

Athena and Apollo's reactions sound just like I'm sure Lily and Spencer will be...Lily will eat it, I have no doubt, but Spencer will probably not even touch it...I'm HOPING mixing it with canned will help, but he is EXTREMELY picky, so I'm not even sure that will work...

Spencer and Katie
and Lily, always in our hearts
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Cool Cat

Both the Primal and Nature's Variety cost me $19.99 per bag (before tax). So the Primal's a little cheaper for me, since there are approx 64 nuggets to a bag (whereas NV has only 48 per bag).
All-in-all it comes out to only $3 more a month for both cats than the grain-free canned diet I was feeding them, so not too bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page