Raw food and allergies - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Raw food and allergies

My new cat's been going through an itchy spell (the vet thought it was just an ear infection but even though her ear got better with medication she's still scratching at herself) so I'm suspecting allergies. The vet said I might try a food trial. I have been trying to switch her to raw food (she's on grain free canned now, so I don't think it's a plant/ grain allergy), and I heard that raw food helps a lot of cats with food allergies anyways. My question is: if cats are allergic to a protein source (like chicken) in cooked food, does that allergy carry over to raw food? If I wanted to give her a food trial involving raw, should I make sure that she gets only novel proteins? I don't know how I'm going to be able to get large amounts of raw venison...maybe I could try duck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Premier Cat

There are two of us who recently went to raw and both of our cats have chicken allergies. Hers seem to be handling it fine and mine can only handle minimal amounts. I can't make it his main meat or organ source but he seems to be ok it's JUST the bone portion (meaning wings).

There a LOTS of protein sources you could give. Your grocery store probably carries quail, duck, buffalo and beef. It may carry rabbit. Lots of people on here suggested Asian markets for different protein sources (I unfortunately don't have one that sells raw meats in my town).

Welcome to raw I think you'll be impressed with the difference in your cat.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Premier Cat

I'm the other one who has cats with chicken allergies, now feeding raw chicken. Mine are doing ok on it so far, but I gave them an egg, the egg made them itch, and dig in their ears, so that's a no.

I'm not feeding it as a main food source, I'm still feeding ground rabbit, and adding 1/2 lb of cubed chicken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Senior Cat

Usually a meat they are allergic to in processed foods is OKAY raw.. as the others stated, because they seem to be sensitive to it already - a diet high in those meat (or ONLY those meats) is probably NOT ideal.

However, the joy of raw is that there are SO many options! Chicken can be replaced with turkey, duck, quail, pheasant. Beef can be replaced with bison, deer, pork, rabbit, moose. Rats, mice, bugs, frogs, etc, etc! So many options!

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page