Sudden boycott? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Sudden boycott?

I've started buying from a new supplier of raw pet food aqnd I've been absolutely thrilled with them so far.

However I ran into a problem and I wondered if anyone had an idea what's going on. The last order I made one of the options was ground whole piglet. I thought it was a wonderful plan so I got quite a bit of it. Makes getting strange organs into their diet much easier.
I ordered it that time in 5lb bags, it was inconvenient to keep it in my fridge so this time I ordered 5x 1lb bags.

I've fed the new stuff to them twice and they won't touch it! The old stuff they wolfed down like nothin, but this new batch all four boycotted. The only one of my cats who is prone to that is Torri, but all four of them! They didn't even lick the juices, which they usually do even if it's a new protien they aren't sure about.

I emailed the company wondering what the cause could be and she basically said 'Cats are picky. We don't sell bad food.' Now, I've summarized it, but she implied I had said she packaged bad meat or that it had somehow gone off...I don't think that's the case but I have no idea why else my three chow hounds would turn up their noses at it. Muffin I get, he hasn't been feeling well. Jitzu and Doran though...yeah right! Jitzu will literally eat anything! (grapes, orange peel, coffee grounds, little peices of plastic, ect)

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Becky,

I have had my kitties on raw for a few months now due to allergies, so it's a must for me to feed it. I've tried 3 suppliers now, and two of them had quality issues. (The other one just had an attitude problem!!! ) Maybe I'm just picky, but I don't like to feed my kitties meat that just reaks!

Recently I've been ordering from Hare Today, and I had the exact same issue as what you are describing, the only difference is that the meat looked, and smelled off, so I knew something was wrong. I contacted them, and they swore up and down it wasn't their meat, but the next batch was perfect again. Hmmm.

None of my kitties would eat it, the texture, smell, and look of it was just off. Does it smell or look different? If you smell it, does it smell fresh? Good meat shouldn't have much of a smell, and certainly not a strong smell.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Senior Cat

Trust their instincts, if they would eat it before and NOTHING with the "process" they claim to have is changed, I'd toss it. That said, sometimes our cats turn their noses up at something they've previously enjoyed.. and we just tell them, eat it or starve (WE WOULD NOT STARVE OUR CATS!!! It's a joke, people). Then we feed it again at the next meal.. and usually they eat it. BUT, the difference is it is not ground - it's usually whole.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page