Too much bone? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Too much bone?

We're on week 3 and I'm using the formulated amount of bone for Mow.... but this week he's terribly constipated. He was meatloafed and squinty eyed and not wanting to play and run around.

He's still eating fine so for breakfast and dinner today I gave him canned food and this morning he got a tablespoon of pumpkin mixed in with LOTS of extra water both times. This afternoon he pooped (either that or an elephant used his box) and then went bonkers running around and playing for a good 3 hours.

I don't want to give him canned each time he gets bound up...should I just skip one of his bone meals when it happens or cut back on the % of bone he's getting to prevent it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 01:38 AM
Senior Cat

What are you feeding for bone? How much, what cuts, etc?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Chicken wings.... .93 ounces every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday (to equal 2.8 per week).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Cat Addict

Hmm...see I feed my girls bone three times a week as well (Mon/Weds/Fri), and it's about the same amount that you feed...usually it's chicken wings too. Samantha (my biggest) weighs about 11 lbs and Alice (the smallest) weighs about 8.5 lbs...never been a problem yet.

Do you have Mow on full raw yet Krissy? What I do to help curb possible constipation from bone is, the day after the bone dinner, they get a liver or kidney meal...organs are supposed to be stool softeners, so I assume I'm helping to balance that out a bit.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Cat Addict

Whee, look at me, I'm quoting myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Bandit View Post
Do you have Mow on full raw yet Krissy?
I only ask, because if he's still getting canned, you may want to lessen the amount of bone you give him. Canned is meant to be nutritionally complete, so he may be getting more calcium than he needs.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Cool Cat

This is a useful topic for me. Athena's sometimes a little constipated after her chicken wings. Since their normal food is Primal, do you think it's the same issue as it would be with canned, Time Bandit? The Primal is supposed to be completely balanced already, and does contain ground bone, although they say you can feed raw meaty bones with it.

So a pure meat and/or organ meal around the bone meal might be a good fix for issues like this?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Cat Addict

Obviously I'm no expert...but I'd say yes, the Primal, just like the canned, is already nutritionally balanced so any extra bone-in meals you give would have to be accounted for, and portions reduced.

I would think it would help to pad the bone-in meals with a bit of organ...I see it as a healthy balance sort of thing. Like I said, thats what I do, and I've really never had a problem with constipation. Then again, I know every cat is different...but it it's happening to both of you, it couldn't hurt to try right? Chicken livers are pretty easy to get (I can get mine cheap at the grocery store) and they are good stool softeners...just make sure you don't overfeed or stools are going to be a lot softer than you (or the cat!) wanted! XD
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Cool Cat

The only thing I worry about with the chicken livers is going overboard on vitamin A, since the Primal already contains liver as well. I'm not sure if additional liver would be too much?

What's interesting is it was only Athena who had issues, not Apollo, and Apollo ate way more bone than she did, so I guess every cat is different. XD

I'm also not 100% sure she was constipated, just kind of assumed, because she was meowing while using the litterbox that one time. She never does that. Would that be a sign of constipation? Or just her being weird?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Cat Addict

Honestly, I'm not sure what would have caused her mewing at the litter box. The only time Rochelle did it, was when she had her UTI.

But yeah, yer right, the Primal and the canned would have more than enough liver nutrients as well...duh to me...these half and half meals confuse me a bit, hehe. Yer other suggestion of an all-meat meal would probably work too. Just something to break up the bone meals.

Apollo sounds like Alice...she can eat anything in any amount and not have problems (garbage disposal! XD). Rochelle though, too much or too little of something, causes her problems with her stools, so I have to be incredibly picky with her, and the organ meals breaking up the bone-in meals seem to help with that.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

He's on full raw. The only reason he got canned that day was so I could add the pumpkin (he won't eat the pumpkin if I don't hide it) and a lot of water (I thought it might help to hydrate his innards ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page