The proof is in the pudding... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

The proof is in the pudding...

Pudding poos anyway!

As I've mentioned before, I'm usually gone overnight on Saturdays to do laundry at my parents' house, and as such, need to leave food for the cats' breakfast on Sunday in case I can't get home in time to feed them in the morning. I'd been leaving freeze-dried raw, which was insanely expensive. I'd go through an entire $30 bag a month. That one meal a week was the most expensive thing on their menu.

I was at the pet store last week, browsing for some more financially sound alternative. Maybe a different brand of freeze-dried raw. I don't know if it's the process used to make that stuff or what, but it's all pretty pricey it seems.

So I had a moment of stupidity. I picked up a bag of Evo kibble. I thought, "Okay, it's one meal a week. The bag says it's lightly baked, it's supposed to be one of the lowest-carb kibbles out there, it's a good brand. Maybe it'll be okay?" I know, I know, what was I thinking? We'd already tried Wellness Core back in the day, why would Evo be any different? But I wasn't thinking.

Boy. What a mistake.

I had forgotten just how bad the cats' poo smelled when they ate kibble. I left them the Evo for Sunday's breakfast, and walked into a house that reeked Sunday afternoon. Apollo had soft poo stuck to his foot. Athena's stomach was bloated. She was gassy. She spent the whole day laying around looking uncomfortable and barely touched her normal dinner last night. Probably because her tummy hurt. It was like we'd gone back in time and she was that sickly little kitten again.

I feel so awful. I really do. But if anything, it was yet another reminder as to why I made the switch to raw. It's boosted both mine and my boyfriend's already high confidence in it (and he was still a skeptic when I first made the switch).

I'm just going to buy an auto-feeder, and try leaving them canned on Sundays. Even if I need to buy two, it'll be way cheaper in the long run than the freeze-dried stuff, and probably better for the cats. They're totally fine with the occasional canned and I feel way better about giving them at least a moist meal in place of their raw that day, rather than dry.

Bottom line: Athena cannot eat kibble. Even the best, highest-quality, lowest-carb kibble out there. She just can't do it. Raw is what made her healthy. Raw is what she must eat.

Thank you guys again, for helping to point me in the one direction that is truly healthy for my cats, especially for Athena. I can only imagine how different her quality of life would be, had I never switched her to raw. It's made a world of difference in her health and her energy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Oh an on that note, does anyone have any good recommendations for auto-feeders that would work with canned food? Or even raw food, but I'm still nervous about leaving that out too long.

There's one on the Petsmart website but the reviews are not encouraging, and most of the others I'm finding are just for dry food.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Premier Cat

It sounds like you have your cats on the best diet. Every cat is different. My Devons won't touch any kind of raw food, and I keep trying, but are thriving on Evo Ancestral kibble --a scant 1/4 c/ 2x/day as well as 2 heaping tsps./meal of Wellness canned. They have lots of energy, never been sick, coats look great, no gassiness or bloat, and normal poos. When I first got one of my Devons I was feeding some kibble that had wheat in it, and he got all these lumps on his neck, but it never bothered his half-sister. Changed the food, and the lumps disappeared. So just goes to show one has to find out what works the best for each individual cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Senior Cat

This one says its for wet or dry, no reviews though: Petsafe Electronic Pet Feeder - Lowest Prices!
This one has three and a half stars, some people say it works great, some people say it was a piece of trash its also available at Walmart

Three stars

This one is out of stock on the website, but maybe you can find it elsewhere? Pet Mate Electronic Pet Feeder C50

The dog may be wonderful prose, but only the cat is poetry. - French Proverb
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thank you for the links! I'll check those out.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Premier Cat

I use the one in the link below and I've been happy with it. There's a space underneath where you can put some ice cubes to keep the food fresh prior to the lid opening at mealtime. You can use it to feed one cat two meals, or two cats one meal..

PetSafe 2-Meal Auto Feeder By Radio Systems - Cat - Free Ship - PetSmart
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks Susan! I picked that up today. Hopefully it'll be just what I need. Within a few weeks it'll have paid for itself if it does, considering how much the freeze-dried raw was costing me.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Jr. Cat

I leave raw food out for hours. No problems yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page