Can a cat choke on a chicken bone? (Whole Prey) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Can a cat choke on a chicken bone? (Whole Prey)

I saw the post on "saving choking cats" and one on "Whole Prey) feeding and it got me to thinking/worrying.

Squiggy (my garage cat) has killed and eaten at least 9 rabbits, a handfull of birds, several mice and a mole last summer that I know of. All that is left of the birds is a small pile of feathers and maybe a head. Of the rabbit, an ear, a few inches of intestine and a back foot. The mice are GONE.

Questions:

1) Does the cat actually eat ALL of the animal? I can't believe that a cat would eat EVERYTHING. Bones, fur, feathers! However, for a day or so after one of these kills Squiggy lays around acting like he ate a brick making the same kind of noises that I would make if I ate a rabbit pelt.

2) Can a cat choke on a chicken bone? I was thinking of trying "Whole Prey" or "Frankenprey", but I am paranoid that he would choke on a chicken bone or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Senior Cat

1. Yes, they actually do. This is why when you feed a raw diet, you have to include bone and lots of vitamins, to make up for the 'rest' of the animal. (With birds, they usually rip most of them off first, but if your cat is eating it whole, I'm sure some feathers get swallowed as well.)

2. As long as the bone is raw (cooked bones are a no-no) your kitty should be fine. Is it Possible for him to choke? Yes, but it seems he has enough experience eating animals already, he should be fine.

The dog may be wonderful prose, but only the cat is poetry. - French Proverb
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Well, I won't be staying up late at night in the hopes of observing that little bit of cat behavior! I guess that I was assuming that there would be a nice pile of picked over bones laying on a rabbit pelt. More like "Wild Kingdom", eh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page