Beef heart muscle? And other questions.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Beef heart muscle? And other questions....

So from what I'm gathering the kitties shouldn't get a huge amount of liver (?1-2 small servings/week?) but what about beef heart muscle? It's ridiculously cheap --I got 500g for like 2 bucks--but seems tougher. I'd love to give them a raw meal per day if we can find meat that is cheap enough/they will like (Wicket still sometimes doesn't recognize raw meat as "food" and is only just beginning to bother to gnaw on/chew bigger pieces that we give him. The kitten, by contrast, goes so insane over raw that he starts snarling and spitting and hissing ferociously and drags his "kill" into another room to eat it!).

So these are my questions:

1) what meats should I avoid getting in big quantities (liver, anything else?) for entire meals?

2) I know I should avoid feeding raw after kibble, so was thinking the following:

1 meal/day grain-free (mix of kibble and canned, this is up for some discussion as with the re-introduction of the kibble both kitties have had stinkier/looser stool, but I want to give it some time to settle before I decide as they otherwise seem to be doing just fine with it, no vomiting or scratching or anything)

1 meal/day completely raw (whatever I can get from the supermarket)

snack @ bedtime: a few tbsps wet or some additional raw

I was also thinking (my vegetarian mother suggested this!) that I might find my local butcher and ask if they could make me some raw food every week: grind up leftovers, small bones, etc. and leave it in patty form that I could then separate and mix supplement into? If it's meat that they're not using/will be wasted, why not sell it to me for cheaper? Hmmmm.....

3) if I am feeding part raw, part canned/kibble, do I still need to make up nutrients by adding a supplement? Is it only with 100% raw that this needs to be attended to? I can't see us going Frankenprey with these guys (at least not in a house this tiny that's rented!) so if they were getting any bone at all it would definitely have to be ground....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Cat Addict

I have a question. Where do you get beef hearts? I know at my LFS they sell beef hearts..
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Randomly at the Sobey's (our grocery store, it's a chain like a Market Basket or a Hannaford or the equivalent? I don't know what you have in Chicago)--I just looked down and was like "hey, that's a lot of meat and it's cheap!." It was 2 dollars and change for about a pound? maybe more. It's chunked up into strips and looked really fresh and was relatively easy to cut up. I don't know if they always sell it and I had never paid attention before (I eat chicken but not really any other meat, and chicken is expensive here, like 12 bucks for 2 boneless, skinless breasts of a decent size).

Why, can you not get it where you are? Maybe this was an accident? *worries*

hah, LFS--local friendly superstore? store of some kind? I should pay attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 09:32 PM
Cat Addict

Actually it stands for local fish store( The pet store), but that was a good guess though. But thats the only place I can think of. The local supermarket and the big chain stores like Jewel do not have beef hearts. Jewel has I believe frozen liver..
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Oh! Well assuming it's something good to feed, I guess I lucked out! Maybe I should stock up...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 02:03 AM
Senior Cat

Raw meat should NEVER make up more than 15% of a cats diet. The reason being is it does not have enough nutients to be balanced.
Quote from Dr Pierson's website - "Notice the phrase “part of the diet” in the above sentence. It is very important to understand that plain meat (ie - without bones or another source of calcium) is very unbalanced since there is minimal calcium in meat. Remember that when a cat eats his normal prey, he is consuming the bones along with the meat.

When fed as a supplement to most commercial canned foods, it is safe to feed ~15% of the daily calories in the form of plain meat. For example, if a cat is eating 6 ounces of canned food per day, you could feed him 5 ounces of canned food plus 1 ounce of chunked muscle meat per day."

I guess that answers number 3, so #1 I have no idea and #2 I dont quite understand. You said you should avoid feeding raw after kibble, but then what you listed was raw after kibble??
Also, I'm not sure why you reintroduced kibble? (I guess I don't know the backstory as to why..?)

I guess I should add that its good you are feeding raw, because my response came across kinda angry. xD oops

The dog may be wonderful prose, but only the cat is poetry. - French Proverb
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Minka that's exactly what I was asking, thanks!

I meant raw too soon after kibble, sorry, should have clarified that more. Right now they're getting fed between 6 and 8 am, then again between 5 and 6 pm, then a small snack at bedtime. I was thinking the breakfast feed would be the best one to start adding raw to (raw + canned maybe?) as the bedtime snack is canned.

Grain free kibble now as an addition to the grain free canned because we just can't afford to go straight canned with both of them right now if it's all grain free. We may be doing crappy canned mixed with grain free canned instead but I had a bag left in my fridge so thought I'd see how they did on it. It's mixed with water to make a wet food and not left out after feeding.

We're thinking of going entirely raw at some point in the near future but I need to have a chat with my local butcher first to see if he can make me some special orders! We have a non-commercial one close by I was just recommended to so I'm hoping they'll be able to "make" my raw food once or twice a month if I tell them what to put in it, and hopefully save some money because I'll take what they weren't going to be able to sell anyway, and I won't have to buy a grinder! Win/win...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Cat Addict

Hehe.. introducing raw food takes time. Feed thhem the regular canned food andput a tiny bit of raw in it. Then slowly increase the raw. Thats what I'm doing right and it's working so far. Afterwords you can give it to them whole with bones and stuff. ^_^
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

konstargirl--so far yeah, the kitten will eat pretty much anything we put in front of him. Wicket takes some convincing. He started out eating small pieces of raw chicken that we "accidentally" dropped on the floor and will now eat most of a chicken wing. Still no bones though...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Cat Addict

Aw! That sucks. I heard bone is supposely good for their teeth. Is that true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in