Baby bunny - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Baby bunny

I need some advice. My cat just killed a baby bunny. She brought in the house. I picked it up put her and it outside. She ate the whole thing. She has killed other rodents in the past but I never let her eat it I always discared it. This is the first time I let her eat it. She has never that I know of eating anything she killed. Should I have let her eat the whole thing or none of it. My husband won't let me let her in the house for awhile cause he is afraid she will throw it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Cool Cat

I think it is okay for her to eat the wildlife as long as there are no reports of illnesses/diseases in your local wildlife population. Also, keep her vaccinations like rabies current. As far as throwing up, I don't know but I guess it could be a possibility if she ate the fur.

On a side-note, domesticated animals such as cats & dogs that aren't naturally occurring to the ecosystem have a huge effect on the local wildlife (throws it out of balance). If that bothers you; I wouldn't allow your cat outside because it is her natural instincts to hunt.

Last edited by swimkris; 04-23-2011 at 09:45 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Jr. Cat

Rabbit is great food for your cat. I'm very impressed! I have to admit I envy you! We don't have them readily around here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

When she brought it in the house I was kinda sad it was really cute. I have been having issues with her eating. I can't seem to find a really good canned food that she likes. I was surprised that she ate it all the whole thing fur and all. So far nothing has been thrown up. Maybe now this will really get me gong on seriously feeding her raw or whole foods. We have alot of chipmunks around too. Last year she killed about two of them, I didn't let her eat them tho. I swear last summer she caught the same chipmunk three times and brought it in the house. It was still alive. She droped it than it ran and hid. I finally got it out of the house alive. I swear she caught it two more times. Then I made her let it go cause my husband told me not to let her kill it. I took her back outside with the chipmunk in her mouth. Made her let it go grabbed her and the chimpmunk played dead for a couple of seconds and then ran off. Thank all for the response to my question. I find this cat forum very helpfull.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Tom Cat

Yeah, Squiggy does the same thing. He's a stray who's taken to living in my garage. Every spring/summer he hunts down the poor neighborhood bunnies. Last year I counted 9 bunnies that he killed. He tries to catch the adults, but they're too fast/nimble for him. That means, I suppose, that there are a lot of rabbits in the area and he is doing his part to keep the rabbits in check.

He also eats the whole rabbit. Meat, bones, guts, skin (pelt), everything. Then he lays around for several days making strange noises. I can't believe that he doesn't choke or something.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 08:37 PM
Banned

Cats are exactly like sharks, snakes and birds of prey... they are all _meant_ to eat other animals, so no choking or throwing up should be expected.

AC
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks Auntie Crazy. I was gone all day and when I came home I went around the house looking for the puke. None, so I won't have to bother looking anymore.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Tom Cat

AC

So if I give Squiggy a raw turkey neck it's going to be good for him and he's going to love me forever?

And he's not going to choke to death.

Last edited by lyle; 04-23-2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: more stuff
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyle View Post
AC

So if I give Squiggy a raw turkey neck it's going to be good for him and he's going to love me forever?

And he's not going to choke to death.

Just be careful that your cat has enough jaw strength to handle it. Maybe start out with some smaller/softer bones first?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 01:16 AM
Premier Cat

If you allow your cat to eat wild prey, be sure to de-worm them regularly as they will pick up and ingest whatever parasites are on/in their food source.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page