EUREKA! (and some questions about percentages!) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

EUREKA! (and some questions about percentages!)

Soooooo excited, was randomly talking to a lady here at work and mentioned that I wanted to transition our kitties to raw. She has dogs and one of them wasn't tolerating any kind of kibble and so she switched HIM to a raw diet, and has a supplier who makes weekly runs to within about 25 miles of our house! It's called Totally Raw Dog Food and on their website they sell "prey complete" patties, which are really similar to the ones my kitties would need. I'm sold!

Here's the one catch: the percentages are a little bit off. The patties are 70% muscle meats, 15% bone and 15% liver and other organs (tongue, stomach, kidney, etc.). I'm thinking that 15% bone might be a bit high/constipating for the kitties so here was my plan (tell me if anything sounds wrong/like it wouldn't work): buy the patties, they come in 8 oz patties, 10 in a box. Wicket is meant to get about 5.5 oz a day if eating raw, for his ideal weight (+/- 11 lbs, he's probably 14 right now). The kitten should be on a similar amount until he's a year old. If I fed 4 oz a day of the patties, then fed just straight chunky raw meat, whatever they like, mixed in, to increase the muscle meat percentage, does that seem like it would balance out enough?

The patties they have are between 2.29 and 2.59 per lb, so if we went through 20 lbs a month it would only be like 50 bucks! SO MUCH CHEAPER than what we're doing now, and so much better!

I did go to our local butcher last night and I could source most things from them but they won't grind any bone or organs because it's so hard to clean out and the bone could contaminate other orders so I would still have to supplement bone meal etc. if I bought through them.

What do you all think, does it sound reasonable?

I'm so excited! I'm thinking of putting in an order for this coming Saturday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I emailed the woman who owns the raw food place and asked about percentages and this is the email I got back:

"We try to stay as close to a whole prey model as possible. Naturally there is variation in the patty ratios depending on the specific protein. So, for example mackerel is lower in bone content then 10% because fish has less bone than mammals. Tripe of course contains no bone, but does contain calcium. The beef and chicken are between 10-15%, organs 15% and the rest is muscle meat and fat. The ground lamb is a bit higher in bone content to compensate for tripe and mackerel."

So I think what we're going to do is feed the beef and chicken patties on alternating days for at least one meal, and then a few meals a week we can throw in tripe, fresh liver, small amts of mackerel and whatever other meat is on sale from the grocery. I'll keep an eye on their poops to make sure they don't get constipated. We should be totally raw by the end of May! Assuming, of course, that Wicket will go for it..... I guess now I'll go peruse the threads about transitioning!

YAY!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Cat Addict

It's great to hear that you're switching over. I was also hesitant when I first started out, but now I'm a firm believer. As with human nutrition, I think the key is variety both in meat sources and type of food. I don't feed 100% raw because I'm afraid of the percentages being wrong. I figure if I feed a combination of raw and wet with a small snack of dry daily, I can't go wrong nutritionally. I also vary the meat sources daily too so they get a smattering of choices between lamb, rabbit, chicken, beef, duck, venison.

Is there a reason why you're not feeding bone? You wouldn't be getting any dental benefits from ground bone. For me personally, it was me being squeamish. However, once I started, I realized they could handle it perfectly. So it makes things easier for me. For the raw meal, I butcher up quail with bone in and add chicken and/or beef. When I heard them crunching away, it totally eased my mind and I felt silly that I thought they wouldn't be able to handle it when in fact, they could do it quite well. I also like using my own human grade meats because (asides from whatever hormones and stuff they put in the meat..who knows) it's the most natural I can get and I know exactly what I'm feeding.

But yay! I'm happy for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

No reason against bone just don't have the resources or storage/prep space to go frankenprey. That and Wicket won't go near bones yet. The kitten can handle smaller or crushed bones but doesn't love them. In a few weeks when the local butcher has quail we'll try that but I thought the patties would make a good base to get them started and that way we can go raw a little sooner!

We also found Prowl dehydrated raw at our petstore today which is new to them, and will be good for when we go away and have to kennel them! It's a "just add warm water" deal and they seem to like it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page