all of a sudden we can't keep food down - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

all of a sudden we can't keep food down

My fantastico switched to raw about a month ago with no problem. we are doing Rad Cat and mice and we are getting our supplies together to switch over to a homemade diet. But last week he started throwing up his food and having loose stool and would not eat. This lasted 2 days, but now everytime he eats more that a half-spoon of anything raw it comes up and he has to be really hungry to even try it. I'm now giving him the dry kibble he used to eat and he has not problem with it, but everytime we try the raw it comes back up. I don't want to do a complete reversal and give him the wet he was eating before. Has anyone had this issue. I can't amagine that I have a cat who can't do raw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Senior Cat

Whats wrong with giving him wet?
And yes, it is possible for a cat to not be able to do raw. :[

The dog may be wonderful prose, but only the cat is poetry. - French Proverb
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

There's nothing at all wrong with giving him wet. And I was giving him a very good wet food, but I think that raw is best for obligate carnivores and am wondering why he is having problems adjusting to what should be his more natural diet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 12:05 AM
Senior Cat

Well, because you said you were giving him kibble now, and that you didnt want to do a complete reversal to wet, like wet was a bad thing.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:54 AM
Cat Addict

I really don't feel there is any need to pick at wording. We want to welcome people here, not make them feel bombarded.

Kitty Fantastico, welcome to the forum! I am sorry your poor boy is experiencing stomach upset . Have you taken him to the vet to see if he has a bacterial infection that might be causing this problem? Also i'm glad he is eating something that he isn't throwing up, as long as he is getting some nutrition!! I don't know much about raw so I'm not being much help I know but I just wanted to pop on and say hello and that I hope Fantastico feels better soon. We have many raw feeders here and I'm sure someone will be along soon to help.

Becky, the proud momma of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 03:01 AM
Premier Cat

Welcome to the forums! There are quite a few people who are very knowledgeable about raw that can help you. I'm definitely not one of them but a few things stand out.

Could it be the source of your meat that is the problem? Where are you getting the raw food?

If it were me I would put him back on the canned for a week or two and then start to slowly introduce raw again and see how it goes. I would take him completely off the kibble though.

Hopefully someone who knows everything about Raw (Auntie Crazyyyy, where are youuuuuu?) will come along soon and answer your questions.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 03:03 AM
Senior Cat

I didn't mean to pick at wording, I was just wondering if there was a specific reason why he didnt want him to go on wet (I thought he didnt want him to) or if he just thought wet food was bad, etc. And then there was confusion when he replied, etc. X_X

I'm sure someone else here with more experience with raw can help. ^^

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I don't want to do a complete reversal and give him the wet he was eating before./QUOTE].
I'm not trying to start a discussion on the merits of wet/dry/raw, it's all good. I would appreciate if anyone who has experience with this particular issue could give me some advise. He did have an infection when I got him in Feb. but since it's only the raw that he can't keep down I don't know if that's the problem again
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you mowwow
I've actually decided to do what you suggested and go back to the wellness kitten wet I was feeding him. I can't take him off the kibble however because I work long hrs and he's still very young he would be going very long without anything to eat. But it is a very good grain free kibble. I think I will try raw again in a few months

Last edited by Kitty Fantastico!!; 05-04-2011 at 06:13 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Cat Addict

my issue seems to be the reverse.
was he getting kibble the whole time? i am assuming not by how you worded it.

With my cats i cannot leave free choice kibble down, If the cats eat it then when i give them raw they have it come back up because the kibble takes longer to digests and seems to keep the meat from staying down. I am still working on converting mine mainly because of suppliers in my area. My oldest may have developed an allergy to the kibble also, and canned has started coming back up on one of the others, but raw seems to sit well on them. Now to find a affordable source for whole prey or a local butcher who can grind bone for me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page