Adding supplements - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Adding supplements

We've only just started transitioning our cats to raw--it'll be 2 weeks this Sunday. We are taking it very slow because some cats are more dedicated than others. They are currently eating 2 meals a day of approx. 50% raw meat and 50% Instinct or BG canned food. One of the cats, Gozer, has vomited after eating for the past 3 meals. He has been eating well with no complaints and even jumps up on the counter while we're cutting up the raw meats to snatch a mouthful or two (bad kitty, I know). Other than the vomiting he seems to be feeling fine. I have purchased some supplements made by Animal Essentials--seaweed calcium, multivitamin, and plant enzymes and probiotics--but I'm hesitant to start adding anything because the canned food is pretty balanced already and I don't want to overdo it. I have added the calcium a couple of times, since they are not at the eating-bone stage yet (our goal is the Frankenprey model) but what about multivites and probiotics? My feeling is that the probiotics would help with the vomiting but I DO NOT want to do any harm to my kitties!

Any thoughts/experiences/cautionary tales would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Cat Addict

I feed my cats a hybrid raw diet. 50% raw and 50% canned. I don't do supplements because the raw as long as it is varied will give them all they pretty much need. I make sure I also give them quail eggs and raw anchovies to balance out their diet. I also feed a frankenprey model.

The canned is for 2 reasons; yes, to ensure they get all the vitamins they may be missing due to degraded meat being thawed and refrozen, etc., and one of my cats has a sensitive tummy and can't handle raw at night. My vet is perfectly on board with this diet, and my cats are in perfect health.

I did at one point entertain going fully raw, but Egypt's digestive issues put a halt to that quite abruptly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page