He finally caved! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

He finally caved!

So we've been trying to get Wicket to eat raw over the last few days (well, longer than that if you include the times we gave him raw "snacks" and tried him out on different kinds of raw meats) with some major heads butting at mealtimes.

We would put down his raw food and the kitten's. The kitten would demolish his in a matter of minutes and Wicket would still be mouthing his first piece. He would eat maybe 1/4 to 1/8th of what we put down and then start following us around, whining for his "real" food. We would put his bowl back in the fridge or throw it away and start over again at the next meal, as he always ate something, even if just a few bites.

Finally, this morning, he was REALLY mad at us, yelling for food at the top of his lungs, and I plunked down a chicken neck and the ground chicken patty mixed with a portion of beef heart and liver. He ate the chicken neck right away (first time he's eaten something bones and all!) and then yelled at us some more, but we left the food down and he finally must have realized that this was all he was going to get, because he hunkered down and ate the whole thing! So awesome! So I'm hoping this will stick and the next meal won't be a huge fight again, it's the first time he's actually finished an entire raw meal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Premier Cat

Good for you! My two won't eat raw. I try from time to time, but haven't really used the 'tough love' approach you did to Wicket. So far, I've been the one to cave in.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I totally would have been the one to cave if he had refused to eat at all...it was only because he kept eating small amounts that we were able to get to this point!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Cat Addict

Good for you! I would just go slow with giving him too many varied proteins out of the gate. Let him get used to stuff and then he can let you know what he likes. My cats have their preference. For example, Azalia HATES liver so she will nibble at that, but eat the anchovies I give her at the same time. The other two LOVE the liver, but hate the fish and on it goes. Try chicken hearts; most cats love those.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Cat Addict

That's great! It's a bit of a balance. Usually you start with one protein, no bones, no organs. However, he caved in to the mix you provided. It's always a good thing if the cat is eating. Perhaps next time cut out the liver as it tends to be rich and might give him a bit of stomach probs. But again, congrats!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Oh I should have added the caveat that we've been giving them small "treats" of raw over the past 2 months so they've been exposed to chicken, beef, liver, and small amts of pork and mackerel. This is just the first time Wicket's had an entire meal (he has had chicken wings as chewtoys/snacks but always got bored before he chewed down to the bone, which is why the chicken neck is so exciting!).
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Cat

I'm a little late to this thread--how's Wickett doing? I have one, Hector, who has decided this past week that he doesn't want to eat raw anymore, PERIOD. He hunkers by his plate, looks at it and then up at me with those huge wet black-velvet-painting-orphan eyes, and I cave every time which I know is BAD. I admire your will power!

"I love cats because I enjoy my home and, little by little, they become its visible soul."--Jean Cocteau
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Oh, he's still boycotting it a few times a week. It's a power trip for sure! Sometimes we cave and sometimes we make him wait for the next meal--usually he eats that one if we've skipped one. He doesn't seem to like beef very much and has thrown it up once so we might have to find some alternate meats for him....
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Cat

My husband is a lot stricter than I am and he won't give in to Hector's Sad Eyes, and invariably Hector will eat what he's given at the next meal. I just worry because he's quite lean (i.e. looks like a cat should look, not like a bowling ball on legs) and he doesn't need to lose a single ounce of weight.

"I love cats because I enjoy my home and, little by little, they become its visible soul."--Jean Cocteau
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Yeah I am way stricter than my hubby, he tends to just feed a bit of canned if they're boycotting. I think they're just sick of the beef heart, we need to find some new red muscle meats for them to eat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page