Treats and raw food... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via AIM to MissBoots Send a message via Yahoo to MissBoots
Treats and raw food...

Boots loves her Temptations treats (I know, I know, not the best, Once this bag is gone she's done for good, I need to find healthier treats for her). Will she be okay eating these after eating raw? I know she can't eat dry food, but will 5 or so treats be fine?

She also just ate her first raw beef meal tonight! Sirloin steak, lucky turd! Inhaled 2.5oz of it in under 3 minutes. It was on sale, and I needed cash back at the store, so she lucked out with her $1.25 slice of meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 01:44 AM
Senior Cat

I use freeze dried meat for treats - mine love them - and I figure it is the most natural treat you can get (short of giving them raw meat as treats, but those don't store well in pockets). Several brands are listed at Freeze Dried Cat | PetFoodDirect.com.

Personally, I prefer to stay away from the freeze dried liver ones, and just stick with the meat/heart types.

Mine love Wildside Freezedried Salmon...I actually split one of those treats into three pieces, they don't know the differance
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Cat Addict

My girls LOVE the temptations treats also. I don't give them to them every day (mostly on weekends), but I figure if I can cheat on my diet and eat candy bars, cake, and ice cream, they can eat these guilt-free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 07:40 PM
Cat Addict

Mine love the Temptations as well (excepting Muffin who won't eat anything even remotely like kibble, lol) but they vastly preffer dehydrated chicken, or old cheddar. Cheddar cheese is their very favorite treat, but I've also been known to use hot dog, yogurt (Torri will do anything for peach organic yogurt, lol), sausage, salt and vinegar chips (Doran loves them), or bits of cooked hamburger or noodles as rewards.

I've given then all choices between processed treats and 'real food' treats...they pick the 'real food' every time! However if you do use these kinds of things IMO they should work for it! Also cut them up nice and small. Too much of any treat will give them an upset tummy, cheese especially.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Cat

My concern is upsetting her tummy. So far nothing's happened. I bought some "vita-kitty" treats and she puked them up pretty quickly. She has a very sensitive tummy.

I feed her like 15 Temptations a day. I know I know holy cow! She was 17lbs in January, and now 13lbs. I don't just GIVE them to her. I throw them across the room to the kitchen (from the couch). She runs to get the treat like she has a rocket on her back, as soon as she eats the treat I shake the bag, she runs back to me, then I toss one down the hall. In the end she's exhausted, but happy. She's been eating solely raw for 3 days now and I gave her Temptations every day with no puke. She doesn't get the treats unless she's being active (through play time, or running), unfortunately now she does what I like to call "apartment relay" where she runs from the bedroom to the living room, into her crinkle tunnel, in to the kitchen, back to the tunnel, back to the room, alllllllll afternoon because she thinks -that- is what makes me give her treats.

These things are like crack to her. x.x
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanresources View Post
My cat would sell her soul to Hitler for Temptations treats. What is so bad about them?

The reason I don't feed them is the ingrediants. Plus, I can get freeze dried meat treats for the same price, which are much better for cats, and mine love them just as much.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
My cat would sell her soul to Hitler for Temptations treats. What is so bad about them?

They're as bad as feeding Friskies. But they're so dang addictive to my kitty. Just like me and the Sausage McMuffins. Holy moly. Horrible for me, but I crave them hella bad...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:

They contain by-products, corn, other grains, etc. which are less than ideal ingredients (and often part of the reason raw feeders move to raw and away from commercial pet food in the first place).

And for cats like my Athena, they can't be fed at all (she can't have any grain or she bloats).

Wellness makes a grain-free treat called Pure Delights. My cats love those. They do contain salt though, which I don't think is fantastic. But I use them very sparingly (after nail-clippings every two weeks or so) so I don't worry about it.

If you want something you can give them more frequently, maybe plain cooked chicken? Even though it's just chicken which my cats eat raw and in canned food every day anyway, my cats get really excited about the plain cooked meat because it's something different from their usual raw. I think that's often all it takes. Just something that tastes good but is different from what they usually get so it seems rare and exciting.

If you need something packaged/pre-prepared that doesn't have to go in the fridge, I second the recommendations for freeze-dried treats. Sadly my cats do not like the one I've tried (Ziwi Peak) or else I'd probably use those myself.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBoots View Post
My concern is upsetting her tummy. So far nothing's happened. I bought some "vita-kitty" treats and she puked them up pretty quickly. She has a very sensitive tummy.

I feed her like 15 Temptations a day. I know I know holy cow! She was 17lbs in January, and now 13lbs. ...

These things are like crack to her. x.x
Fifteen of these every day is a lot; it's enough to effect the percentages in her diet, and therefore her weight, etc.

I'm glad eating these is not upsetting her tummy, but if her weight is an issue, or you are concerned about her overall nutrition, I think I'd switch to a freeze-dried treat. Have you tried them? She might like them just as much! I use Whole Life's Freeze-Dried 100% Meat treats (Chicken) to entice anyone who's acting "off" to eat their food, and for emergency-recall training. All six of my kitties LOVE them.

AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page