Things are going awesome! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Things are going awesome!

It's been 6 weeks of very little itching, and shedding, getting better every week! I finally found a recipe that works for my kitties, after much trial and error. The key is "less is more"! My two long haired black and white moo kitties look amazing! I honestly believe, like alot of research proves, it will take the full 12 weeks to fully be rid of the allergy symptoms though, now that I have a recipe that I know works right for them.

We're using chicken, rabbit, AND my kitties now get to enjoy a weekly sardine! It's not making them itch if I use the ones in spring water, and nothing added! Lucy LOVES them!!!! She thinks it's a treat!

The meat rabbit business is growing quickly, and I was so excited yesterday, while at the vets office, one of the techs showed extreme interest in what we are doing. She knew quite a bit about raw feeding, and had many questions for me about our meat rabbits. She asked me to send her some business cards, and she would be happy to share information about what we are doing. We're hoping to be ready to pick up a couple local regular customers soon, and what better place to have behind you, then your vets office.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Senior Cat

That's great

I wish that at least one vet here was willing to look beyond the "Science Diet is the only good food to feed" blinders. They decided to blaim Mikey's swollen paw on raw feeding They'll learn the truth sometime (I hope)!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Oh my, a swollen paw because he eats raw food. That's a good one! Even my vet is on board with us feeding raw, which is a good feeling. He just openly admits he doesn't know much about it, but he doesn't fault us for feeding this way. He agrees it's closer to their natural diet than dry is.

Couple pics of the rabbitry so far. There's lots we'll change along the way, but it worked for us at the moment since we got into this rather quickly. The stacked cages will be moving into our quarantine area in the garage, we've got 2 other sets in there already with some of the quarantined rabbits, and we'll be adding more of the single large cages in the barn. Neither one of us likes the stacked cages.....we're both short!

Julie.

Industrial speed controlled barn fan for warm summer weather.......we have 2 large ones, and two smaller ones. They add alot of air flow to the barn when it's warm out!

One of our breeding bucks, Uncle Buck, or as we call him, U.B. for short!

Couple others of the cages.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Premier Cat

Wow, very impressive! I wish I knew of a place near here like yours!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Tom Cat

I think I would be a terrible person to start something like that, because I would end up naming them all and keeping them as pets, not as food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Premier Cat

I'd be perfectly fine raising them for food, but I'd have to find someone else to do the 'deed' and to clean them. Once they are processed I'd be fine chopping them up to feed .

I'm a total hypocrite.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks Krissy, I appreciate that! It's important to me that the place be clean. When someone comes into the rabbitry area, we want it not to be smelly and messy. I've seen some pretty nasty rabbitries, and I don't want ours to be like that at all. I find it relaxing, and not at all stressful, just to be working out in the barn. The rabbits are very low key.

I have names for all my breeding rabbits, the bucks and does, and I have my favorites that like to be pet, but not the weanlings. I enjoy the kits when they are little, but when they really start to grow they get really good at scratching you when you pick them up. They always get me good! We don't really handle them once they are weaned, so I don't get attached.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
I'd be perfectly fine raising them for food, but I'd have to find someone else to do the 'deed' and to clean them. Once they are processed I'd be fine chopping them up to feed .

I'm a total hypocrite.
Believe it or not, my husband has the hardest time with doing the deed, especially if we have to cull one for a specific reason. We had gotten in 4 beautiful does into our quarantine area that were actually sick, and because of our strict guidelines that we've put into place, we culled them, and the meat wasn't usable. I won't feed a sick animal to my kitties. Dave has a hard time disrespecting an animal in this manner, culling it, and throwing it away. The meat should have a purpose, but in this case, it's just not safe. We want a healthy herd, and it's important to follow strict guidelines to maintain that healthy herd.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Senior Cat

Geri, your rabbitry looks AMAZING! CONGRATS!!

Hopefully things really take off soon. You deserve it!

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Premier Cat

Very impressive Geri. My friends who are meat eaters only buy beef locally that have been pasture fed. . The people said they have names for all their beef cattle. They butcher them humanely, If you have to harvest animals your way and the ranchers way is the way to support.

Sounds like you will teach your vet a thing or two about food allergies and the possitive results of raw food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page