Raw food allergy? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via AIM to MissBoots Send a message via Yahoo to MissBoots
Raw food allergy?

She's eaten raw chicken before, but for the first time this week we started introducing beef.

She doesn't puke. Her potty is normal. She has really bad cat acne. I mean bloody cysts all over her chin. We had an outbreak a few months ago, then got her eating out of stainless steel making the acne go away after a couple weeks. Now that she's on raw, her acne has come back.

Can a beef allergy cause acne? She never ate beef wet food prior, just snubbed it. She really enjoys her sirloin steak. Haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Cool Cat

I don't know if it can cause acne or not (sounds plausible to me? certain foods give me acne!) but I have a cat who is allergic to raw beef and not cooked, so that is definitely possible! Apollo vomits any time he eats raw beef, but he's totally fine with beef in canned food, and any other raw food he's had (chicken, turkey, rabbit).

Maybe as an experiment, try offering her some cooked beef to see if there's still a reaction?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via AIM to MissBoots Send a message via Yahoo to MissBoots
I'll have to try after this set goes away. She's scratching like crazy at them, and bleeding.

I can't think of any changes that have happened lately except that I've been feeding her more raw food than wet. The only meats I've offered her is chicken and beef. Beef only twice (dinner, then breakfast next day on Tues & Wed).

Maybe I'll just avoid it all together. I don't like seeing her in pain with that acne. She gets acne from grain food, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBoots View Post
I'll have to try after this set goes away. She's scratching like crazy at them, and bleeding.

I can't think of any changes that have happened lately except that I've been feeding her more raw food than wet. The only meats I've offered her is chicken and beef. Beef only twice (dinner, then breakfast next day on Tues & Wed).

Maybe I'll just avoid it all together. I don't like seeing her in pain with that acne. She gets acne from grain food, too.
If the beef was sourced from a heavily grain-fed cow (and most of them are now-a-days), it will affect a cat with a strong grain allergy.

I would either replace the beef with another meat or, better yet, find a source of beef from grass-fed cows.

Good luck!

AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page