raw food - throwing up.. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

raw food - throwing up..

i have been feeding vets all natural with raw meat for three weeks now, and just converted to complete raw yesterday.

but before i could even give Leo some of the new batch he had thrown up twice. i think it MAY have been that i left his food out for about half an hour the day prior, which i dont usually do. and its possible that it went bad in the mean time.

he wasnt himself at all yesterday, he seemed lethargic and just didnt look himself. he did end up eating at night but only half of what he usually would.
now this morning he does look like himself again, but he wont eat
very worried, and im tempted to revert back to tin food just because im terrified that it might have something to do with raw meat.

i just need some reassurance that it's probably nothing, i do have a tendancy worry over nothing lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Banned

It's really hard to say why your kitty threw up, Shannonrenee. It could be so many things, including the food or something else he ate.

I'd never heard of this particular food before you started talking about it, so I googled it. I found the website, but there's no real ingredient list or nutrient analysis for any of the products. However, the site does say the food includes grains, veggies and garlic, none of which is really good for cats. I've read many times that garlic may even be toxic at some level.

Whether the food is why your kitty isn't feeling well or not, from what I see on that site, I think it's a good thing you're not feeding it anymore.

My cats almost never refuse to eat their food, and it always worries me when they do. Missing a meal or two isn't bad, but a day or two, I think, is. Only you can decide if / when Leo needs to see the vet, but I'd think about it if you can't get him to eat anything by tomorrow morning.

I sure hope he's feeling better and eating ASAP!

AC
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

thank you for the reply

so far he's only missed one meal, and at the moment i dont think i need to take him to the vet. i was a vet nurse and im very weary of the tiniest of signs of illness. before he threw up i could tell something was wrong, even the way he walked around just wasnt right.

i'm at work at the moment but my roommate says he's running around as normal so maybe he's ok now

another thought i had was that every time he seemed ill i was burning incense in my room. do you think its possible that it could have an effect on him like smoke inhilation would on us?

i will take him to the vet if he doesnt seem better but i know the vet is only going to blame it on the food and say i need to go back to commercial like hills. i havent found a holistic vet yet as i've only recently moved.

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Cat

Yes...believe it or not..incense can cause allergic reactions in cats....and a bit of a sinus headache may have slowed down your kitty....my sister loves her incense and had to stop as it was affecting her cat enough to slow him down....and he is like trying to stop the bullet train with a feather rope...lol.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Cat

I have tried to find the companies IUI ingeredient list but can not find the Company anywhere....is it a US/Canadian based company....and can you put up the label code....often found by the companies name/address there will be 3-4 other numbers...it is those I need for ingredient listings.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonrenee View Post
... another thought i had was that every time he seemed ill i was burning incense in my room. do you think its possible that it could have an effect on him like smoke inhilation would on us? ...
Absolutely. They aren't as sensitive as birds, but they can definitely be affected. I rarely even burn candles any more.

That's frustrating about the vet, I know. *shakes head sadly* That'll change someday, thankfully!! More and more people, including vets, are conducting their own research and coming to the conclusion that commercially-produced cat foods aren't all they're cracked up to be.

So glad your kitty only missed the one meal, Shannonrenee, and is feeling better now!

AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page