Enough Taurine for a growing kitten? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Enough Taurine for a growing kitten?

So both boys are on raw now, and doing really well with it--they're getting a whole variety of stuff and look fantastic, are active and alert, shiny coats, healthy teeth, etc.

I still worry, though, about the amount of Taurine the kitten is getting for heart and eye development. I know it's hard to measure the amount of Taurine in raw meat and I've read some really conflicting stuff about Taurine amounts. I'm considering getting a supplement to add to his food/both cats foods to be on the safe side.

Both cats are getting a mix of 1) raw, bone-in patties, ground mixed with 2) chunks of whatever is on sale at the grocery store (beef cubes, beef heart, pork, lamb, chicken, rabbit from the butcher). We also were donated some Nature's Variety Instinct raw frozen food that we have been feeding every few days and that is all balanced with supplement in, bone, etc. They get chicken wings and other things to chew. Both eating somewhere between 4 and 8 oz a day depending on appetite and activity level (the kitten sometimes gets several small meals a day as I find he eats more that way and Wicket we try to keep at 2 meals, 3 at the most).

Am I being a worry wart? I had a cat go blind from lack of taurine when I was young and I have been terrified of the kitten especially not getting what he needs to develop properly.

Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Premier Cat

I'll defer to those more experienced but isn't heart chock full of Taurine? I'd say if they were getting any sort of heart on a regular basis they'd be getting enough...... or am I way off base?

Not to say the other meat isn't. I believe that the harder the working the muscle the higher the taurine content so wouldn't thighs, legs, heart and the like be plenty?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

That's what I originally thought too, and then I read this:

Taurine is essential for cats | VetLord.org

If I use those calculations, they're only getting about 50mg per day when they should be getting almost 100.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Jr. Cat

i think i'd rather invest in crickets.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I was curious so I emailed Dr. Pierson and here's what she thought:

I would supplement per my website. Better safe than sorry since taurine is lost in the grinding process.
I would feel more comfortable supplementing with ~150 mg/day on top of what they will get in their meat diet. It is a cheap and easy-to-implement practice.
Kind regards,
Dr. Pierson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page